riding trial..

X

xspiralx

Well I just had a riding trial for the Riding Club team here at Aber! it was only flatwork, and only about half an hour of riding - but I *think* it went really well!

My first horse was a big black horse called Jordy - about 16.2hh. I watched him being ridden before and he seemed forward but nobody was getting him to work round. When I got on I found him really sensitive and forward, but totally dead and resistant to the hand. We had to ride them like we would if we only had 7 minutes to warm them up before performing a dressage test, and I found that if I was really quite firm with my hands he did start to soften and work in an outline. I don't know how well he was really going, he felt to me like he was working in a reasonable outline and softening a bit, but as I only had about 15 minutes really to ride him I didn't get the best I think I could have if I'd been able to ride him for a whole hour or something. He was really nice though.

Then I rode a dapple grey mare called Foxy who was about 15.3hh and flippin heck, she was GORGEOUS. I knew she was because she'd been working really well before but she was an absolute dream to ride, I think we clicked straightaway. She was really forward going and soft, but worked straight in a wonderful soft outline the whole time.

It was just so refreshing to ride a couple of totally different horses and the challenge of getting each to perform well! I think the standard was fairly good, so I don't know if I'll get into the team although I really hope I do, but who knows - but I do think I did the best I could have!

really reminded me why I LOVE riding!

Jiffy

photobucket.com
Fingers crossed for you Spiral! Sounds like great fun.
cool.gif

X

xspiralx

thanks! will keep you updated - I will be quite disappointed if I don't get in tbh, as I feel I am a good rider!

Foxy was gorgeous, just my sort of horse!

X

xspiralx

not sure! they said they're going to send an email round! and there's another jumping one they're gonna set up so its all just wait and see atm!

X

xspiralx

I've got through to the next round! I think they cut about 10 members, and there's 15 of us left to try out, eek!

We have to learn and perform a dressage test [which tbh doesn't seem easy, has medium trot and give/take rein bits in] and then jump a course of jumps! Exciting but a bit eek!

wish me luck! I just hope the standard isn't crazy good lol!

X

xspiralx

good grief! I must be very naive or something but this test seems ultra bizarre!

A

C Enter at working trot and proceed down the centre line without halting.
Track right
B
X Turn right
Circle right 15m diameter
Returning to X
E
Circle left 10m diameter
Turn left
KAF
FXH
H Working trot
Change rein & show some medium trot strides
Working trot
C
B Working canter right
Circle right 20m diameter & show give and retake each time crossing centre line.
AX
X Half-circle right 20m diameter
Simple change through trot
XC
CHE Half-circle left 20m diameter
Working canter
E
K Circle left 15m diameter
Working trot
KAF
FBM
M Working trot
Show some medium trot strides
Working trot
C
HBK
K Medium walk
Free walk on a long rein
Medium walk
A
FXG
G Working trot
Working trot
Halt. Immobility. Salute.
Leave arena at walk on a long rein at A
Rider
Influence of the rider on the horse – Rhythm, Contact, Impulsion, Straightness
Effectiveness – Use of weight, leg and rein, aids
Preparation & Accuracy

Position and seat of the rider – Balance, Straightness, Position, Harmony, Relaxation
Total
Penalty Marks to deduct
Total marks to count

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
X Turn right
Circle right 15m diameter
Returning to X

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT? but but but thats impossible!!! You can start a 10 metre circle, returning to X, but not a 15 - well you can, but it would be all cock eyed - hmmmm DRESSAGE PEEPS EXPLAIN PLEASE!

X

xspiralx

its weird the way its pasted! but its:

B turn right
X circle 15m right
return to X and circle 10m left
E turn left

seems kinda weird tbh!!

emma69

Visit site
The BUSU tests are most odd - I agree! For that particular move think of it as if you were doing a 15m circle from A (or even a 20m circle) you stay on the 'track' a little way before coming off onto the circle, so you are 7.5 m one side of x and 7.5 m the other side at the widest point of the circle - i.e. not touching the track, then when you return through x you do your 10m circle - they are probably looking for a good change of bend and accurately ridden circles. More than anything tho, they are looking to see how well you ride the horses after only a few mins - because that is how long you get in competiton, and the host teams can be very mean (i.e. they pick horses from the yard that you have to ride in a particular way - that they know and the visitors won't!!!) Good luck!