Riding when in foal?

Hanz

Visit site
Hi, just wondering if you can ride a mare when she is in foal, and if you can when to stop before the foal is born? Also how long should you leave her after she has foaled untill you can start bringing her back into work again?

Thanks

_jetset_

Visit site
I have been through this very same thing... there are many different fields of thought on this one, and I have to say it is a bit difficult making the decision. But, your mare will tell you what she wants and when she wants it.

My dressage instructor rode her horse in the school until she had six weeks left. She did lots of long and low to get her mares back stretching and keep her supple as a certain amount of fitness helps with the pregnancy.

Hannah is now 5 months in foal and I do try to keep her quiet but sometimes when her feet touch grass on a hack there is just no stopping her! I am also schooling her long and low as instructed and she absolutely loves going into th school.

lennysmith

Visit site
Hi I didn't know Josie was in foal when I bought her, and in that time she was backed and broken, taught the basics, taken for fantastic gallops and taught to jump. Now I am in NO WAY reccomeneding this, and I'm sure we were just lucky.

I found out about 10 weeks before Josie had baby D and I had to stop riding, she'd had enough (which prompted me to wonder why). The vet did say tho pootle down the lane on her bare back but keep her walking in hand and do as much as pos with her to keep her fit for the labour. It worked, she had him in a matter of minutes.

I re backed her, and started doing a bit of work when D was 8 weeks ish i think, and she loved every second. Not once did she or has she ever complained. ( she was nervous when re backed but I knew this as she was bafore so fully expected it) She seems her saddle and her ears prick. She's fine about leaving D, (he goes with my friend to do some baby learning) and I think it's helped both of them.

Hope this helps xxx

Vey

Visit site
You can certainly ride in the early months - many a mare brought unknowingly in foal has been ridden to near term - but you will find that gradually her shape changes and her fitness drops. You will want to ease back gradually as this happens. My daughter brought her mare back nto work very gradually form the foal being about two months old. I would stay with the foal, and my daughter lead the mare out, and then bring her back. Presently when both were happy about this, she would pop out for a short ride. The key is to bring the mare back into work very gradually and to remember she has to get back to feed foalie in a pretty short space of time.

It does have the advantage that, at weaning, both are very calm about being parted.

Tia

Visit site
I've always ridden in-foal horses gently throughout the whole of their pregnancy and all births have been uncomplicated. Afterwards the mare is put back into gentle work at some point between 2 weeks to 1 month after foaling (depends on the mare). Start off with 5 mins and then gradually build up the time the mare is away from the foal and you shouldn't have any trouble - it's good for the foal and the mare to be seperated for short periods of time.

Cloud is 4 months pregnant and she is still ridden but not like she was before she became pregnant. She has slowed down in herself and doesn't bomb around like she usually does. She just goes out for gentle rides nowadays.

AliJo

Visit site
Nobody realised my pony was expecting last year and she was hacked out by a young girl, galloping behind the mothers thoroughbred up until July, when I bought her. I then hacked lightly for 3 weeks until we discovered she was pregnant. Within the week she gave birth to a healthy foal. As soon as the foal was weaned and sold I started bringing my mare back into work. I think normally you can ride the mare up until the last 2 months of pregnancy and bring them back into work as soon as the foal is weaned. Some people ride the mare while the foal follows along, well before they are weaned. I like the story about a local vet who was showjumping his horse right up to a few days before it gave birth.... and he didn't realise!
blush.gif

Hanz

Visit site
shocked.gif
that must of been soem horse!

Okay thanks everybody, just am thinking about foaling my little mare next year, she puts on weight like wildfire so just wondered what I could do to keep her shape a little bit.

cheers
Hannah [x]

valentine

Visit site
hi i kept my mare working up until about 6mth not hard work but i think she might have got bored just being out in the field! my foal was born in july and was quite healthy. i will bring her back into work when i have weaned... goodluck x

RobinHood

Visit site
I know a mare that was taken out jumping and then had a foal in the field that night, the owner's had bought her in foal even though she had a negative pregnancy test at the vetting. This was the second time this family had bought a mare in foal unknowingly.

My YO said said she once sent a mare out with a small child on board for a good long hack to get some weight off her. The next morning she went to get her in from the field and there were two horses in the field, again yet another suprise foal.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I've spent far too much time, effort and money on getting my mare in foal - so I wouldn't consider riding her whilst she was pregnant. She's happy in the field, and I'm more than happy for her to be there.
laugh.gif

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know a mare that was taken out jumping and then had a foal in the field that night, the owner's had bought her in foal even though she had a negative pregnancy test at the vetting. This was the second time this family had bought a mare in foal unknowingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me when I bought my mare, she had been scanned not in foal, so I bought her and we show jumped, even in a puissance class, clearing 4`6".
blush.gif

About 2 months before foalie arrived, I didn`t ride her as much as it was in the middle of Winter. (foalie arrived January 28th) with no problems or complications. Obviously if I`d have known, I wouldn`t have done as much with her at the later stages, but to some extent it is better to keep them fit as it makes the birth easier. We sussed she was in foal just 2 weeks before she gave birth as she was fit so hid the foal well. Sneaky mare
smirk.gif