Riding while pregnant

vicm2509

Visit site
My best mate and sharer of my horse is pregnant. She is happy to ride until its unconftable, her partner doesnt think its worth the risk.

Did you ride when you were pregnant? He is a very sane horse in the school. She wont be jumping or hacking him.

PennywithHenry

Visit site
I personally didn't, when pregnant with Poppy, now 20 months. I had actually sold my horse due to financial reasons (I owned a youngster and a very old horse and I couldn't afford to keep my youngster and give my veteran the retirement she deserved)...

I was riding a TB, who generally was classed as sane, however I had a scare about 13 weeks in and it really made my maternal instinct kick in. It was highly unlikely that the two were related, but I'd never have forgiven myself if anything had happened-even the safest of horses can spook, even if you're not thrown you can very easily pull yourself etc.

However, from another point of view, my friend, who comes on here sometimes, is about 6 months pregnant and still riding. She's smaller than I was at 4 months lol so size isn't an issue. We were talking about this the other day and she actually riding more. She no longer rides her ex racer, but her friends old cob, and her friend rides her ex racer for her. I know she had a lot of pelvic pain etc and finds riding actually helps. She only plods round well known routes, and I don't think she does anything other than the odd trot, I may be wrong. She also never goes out alone, just in case.

I think peoples opinions vary greatly, some think, like any other activity, providing you're not doing anything you weren't before, and know your limits you're fine. others could argue that horses have a mind of their own, and anything could happen....Wasn't it Mary King competing at 5 months pregnant?

I suppose it depends on what the individual feels comfortable with....

I don't think that was a lot of help really was it!!

nadinek82

Visit site
Personally i would ride my horse until i couldn't get on anymore but i wouldn't ride anyone else's. When i was pregnant with my son i didn't have a horse and wasn't around them at all but still bled and it was a threatened miscarrage(sp) until around 16 weeks. A week later they discovered i had a low lying placenta and wasn't allowed to do anything at all for the rest of the pregnancy let alone go back to work that i had been signed off from at 6 weeks. They also worried because i was always three weeks smaller than i was supposed to be. After a scan to check both size of baby and placenta it turned out baby was two weeks bigger than he should have been and was hiding under my ribs! My placenta ended up moving enough for me to have him normally, he was 8lb 2oz a week early! So to finally get to my point, i think what's for you will not go by you
smile.gif

Comanche

Visit site
I rode my safe as houses cob until I was 5 months. I found my centre of balance went then and I couldn't stay on straight! I also found it hard to dismount. I didn't ride often and didn't go out into unknown situations, but stayed in the school or on a short hack on my land. I wouldn't have done it on just any old horse, but I trust my lad with my life and knew that he would be safe and steady. I know all horses have their off days but if you know your horse well, you can see when the off days are coming and just don't ride.

elsielouise

Visit site
I'm 10 weeks and am riding my older mare but not my 5 year old. Just hacking now so no comps for us this year. Will keep going as long as feel safe.

louisem

Visit site
I competed with all three of my pregnancies until I was 6 or7 months,and rode at home right up to the last week or so. I think I would gone insane if I hadn't been able to ride. I was just lucky,I guess, I was never really 'big' and kept myself fit with lots of mucking out!!!!
grin.gif

It's just what you feel is comfortable for your own body I suppose,my doctor never told me to stop,but then I never asked him either!
smirk.gif

Maisy

Visit site
I rode with my 3rd child until i was 37 weeks!!!! I only stopped then as I slipped down a bank and hurt my pelvis!!!

(My mare is safe as houses though)

It was comical watching me get on and off onto a mounting block.

With all the others I felt too sick, certainly the last one (I have 4). I felt sick when riding before I even knew I was pregnant...in fact that is why I tested!

I guess it depends on how you feel and how safe your horse is.

The Original Kao

Visit site
i was already having a break from horses when i got pregnant so i've no idea if i would've continued to ride. an old boss of mine rode up til she was about 7 months gone on her old point to pointer who was as safe as houses.

3253Wendy

Visit site
I didn't ride mainly because the school that we have isn't safe and our hacking is in pheasant country and I just couldn't be 100% sure that my horse wouldn't do a major spoke if one flew out in front of her. My midwife did say that unless I impaled myself on something I would be fine.

At 34 weeks I did get bored and sit on her, couldn't walk for days!!!!!

hallarider

Visit site
I know its everyone's personal choice on riding whilst pregnant, but I find it quite selfish that anyone would consider riding whilst pregnant. Horses, however safe you think they are, are unpredictable and are not machines. To be pregnant is such a precious gift of life and to risk that with a dangerous sport, in my opinion, is nuts.
frown.gif

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
I rode whilst I was pregnant with all three of my babies. I lasted 5 months the first time, 7 months the second and 3 months the third - but I had a car accident last time and stopped because of that really. I think as long as you take things easy it's fine to carry on. I did actually fall off during my second pregnancy, flat on my back, and all was fine. My feeling is that life goes on and any number of things can cause miscarriage. It's personal choice at the end of the day, but I probably wouldn't have chanced it if my pregancy had been at all high risk.

blakesmum

Visit site
Guess I'm selfish and nuts then.

I rode right up until a week before my due date and only stopped as it seemed overnight my bump had grown and it was difficult for me to get off, Oh had to pull me sideways so I didn't want to injure my horses back.

I evented until I was 5 months pregnant and showjumped until 6 months. I had 3 falls two landing on my feet one when the horse went down in a deep school and i did a forward roll. My Midwives and Doctor told me that as I was used to riding and as long as I didn't take a blow to the stomach I should be fine. Anyway I now have a healthy nearly 9 year old.

Yes I took a risk and was fine, my friend gave up riding totally and miscarried 4 weeks later. I know numerous women who have taken all precautions to stay safe and still lost their child.

It does depend on the horses you are riding, mine is no easy ride yet it seemed as if he knew I was expecting as he stopped nudging me in the stomach and was the sanest horse to ride. However once I'd had my little boy and was back in the saddle (about 10 days afterwards) he reverted back to his normal self lol. Lots of the top riders have ridden through their pregnancies and yes it's dangerous but then so is getting in your car when pregnant a friend was involved in a serious car crash when she was 7 months pregnant which left her with broken legs, ribs and a fractured pelvis, the baby initailly was distressed but as soon as the mum was stablised the baby settled back down again and the docs decided to leave it be they delivered her a healthy baby by C section a few weeks later, when she (my friend) was more stable and comfortable.

shoo

Visit site
I stopped when I was 12wks due to young horses and a worried OH , I really miss riding and now due to problems with my pelvis I can just about walk so really really miss doing even the simple things like grooming. But not long to go now so I'm counting the days to when I can get in the saddle again!!

chriscrogul

Visit site
I kept riding until the last minute, had a very supportive midwife who's advice was "if it hurts, don't do it"! I also read somewhere that Winston Churchill's mum was actually out hunting when she went into labour, calmly rode home, hopped off and gave birth! The downside with my son's birth was that my muscles/ligaments were so toned that they wouldn't stretch easily and I had a 23 hour labour!

toffeesmarty

Visit site
I've had three children including one miscarriage. Eldest is 16 and youngest is 8. I rode throughout all of my pregnancies (especially the first) and had two ceaserians (not due to riding but babies positions).

During my first pregnancy I continued showing up until 6 months and was lunging the day I gave birth. At one show I remember running my TB in hand and the steward telling me that the judge liked to see them run fast. I told him if they wanted my bump to stay where it was he'd .see a fast walk! Can't have done anything to wrong as we went on to win the Championship. Didn't jump but it isn't really my thing anyway. Do what you feel is right for you and what will keep you happiest, sane and fit. I did - but then maybe I was just too selflsh!