Riding whilst listening to your ipod/mp3?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Who does it? I do, but only with one ear in. Often get tuts and people telling me I shouldn't. I love it though, and find it helps me keep a rythm more, and keeps me motivated during schooling!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No I don't - and can't think of a good reason to do it really.

To do it on the roads is just plain dangerous, and I would be too distracted in the School.

Sorry, not the best idea really.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I dont have an ipod or MP3 but i wouldn't do it even if i did.

My horse is not exactly bomb proof so i wanna hear whats going on around me before i get bucked off LOL

Helena88

Visit site
yep i do... only one ear though same as you. and yeah it makes me ride for longer - lol i get bored quickly!!

haven't done it recently cos im on a posh yard LOL but will do it again once ive moved!!

edited just to say - i wouldnt do it out hacking!

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I didn't... my old CD player would jog at the mear mention of moving... I know my sister used to though.

I find my perception is trashed if I have earphones in. I'll put a CD player down and play that (and then everyone can listen to heavy metal...) but if I want to sing along whilst riding, I'll just sing....

schooling isn't so bad, but never ever on a hack!

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
I school whilst wearing my iPod shuffle. I make sure I've got a suitable selection of music and it helps me keep rhythmn, work harder and makes schooling fun. And the thing is so tiny it doesn't get in the way.

Never use it any other time I'm riding, though (i.e. whilst hacking)

Jay89

Visit site
I dnt think it is too bad if u are ridin in a school but ridin out on a road or in strange surrondings i think its quite dangerous as u cnt hear wots happenin around u...even if its only in 1 ear!!

_April_

Visit site
Def. not on the road.

Lots of people use music whilst schooling though, but just make sure you can still hear things going on around you!

Oaksflight

Visit site
Nope I'd never use it out hacking or on roads. Only in the school for me. Mine is very well behaved though so don't really have to worry about much, and definately doesn't distract me, makes me relax probably and work harder. I'm the same with driving though, drive so much better with music on.
ETA: My mp3 is tiny too, and have it on so can still hear people shouting me from the car park etc!

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse is not exactly bomb proof so i wanna hear whats going on around me before i get bucked off LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I wouldn't do it if my horse wasn't bombproof. The only thing he ever does is randomly leap to the side when an invisable thing appears. We just carry on and ignore said imaginary thing. My instructor has a microphone which I have to wear an earpiece too, so she can talk to me through that when I'm at the other end of arena.

Kelly1982

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My instructor has a microphone which I have to wear an earpiece too, so she can talk to me through that when I'm at the other end of arena.

[/ QUOTE ]

All sounds very techinical at your yard LOL, our yard doesn't even have a gate or half the fencing in our sand school LOL

My horse nearly had me off the other night, she randomly bucked and unseated me then decided it would be funny to rodeo round the school while i was hanging on for dear life. I managed to stay on though. Think i would worry too much about my ipod breaking if i fell on it ha ha

Oaksflight

Visit site
Haha me too! Yard isn't that technical, she's the only instructor that comes here that uses microphone, think it's because she's a bit ermm... older than the rest so doesn't want to shout! It's not a big school though. The ones that have tutted at me have been the ones with the mentalist horses, that they can't have a schooling session without one major paddy. Biggest paddy my horse has ever had is him turning round and stamping his foot because I was taking him away from other horses, scary hey!
grin.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Yep we have music on all day at our yard and can usually hear it whilst schooling - worst thing is I start singing and then I get some horrified looks (usually from Mary
crazy.gif
)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
i have done so several times with my ipod whilst schooling. Wouldn't use it when hacking as said previously as its just plain dangerous.

If riding fleur would have one ear piece in only if dan both. I love finding tracks that fit the horse's rhythm and adding them to my dressage to music collection, not that i ever edited up an actual track for use for the purpose yet LOL

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I aways listen to my iPod whilst riding but again, only with one ear in and it isn't very loud. I ride by myself at least once a day and I get very bored without it on.

JessPickle

Visit site
We have a cd player with HUGE speakers in the indoor school so if I want music I use that, dont think I would wear headphones though can imagine falling off and breaking my i pod which would be typical for me

amage

Visit site
yeah i do only in one ear or i also discovered earpieces tucked at hat straps (not where they can get in way!!) with volume turned up loud is great. i have a riding playlist on my ipod!

M

madabout2

Use it in the school not on roads (but then out of choice don't tend to ride on roads)
Don't get tuts at all. Use both ears - not just one. (mainly because one ear tends to fall out by the end of the session!!)

And have found it SUPERB at controlling my nerves and maintaining rhythm.

teapot

Visit site
my instructor uses a microphone/head piece set - it's ideal when it's blowing a gale over the arena

Just a thought though - how is listening to your ipod (one ear only) any different from say having the radio on or riding to music on a cd?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Only difference is it's louder I would imagine. We have a radio/cd player for the yard but you can't hear that at the school, and I usually school on my own so does get dull.