riding whilst pregnant

pixiebee

Visit site
Any views/idea on when it is best to stop riding when pregnant? I know each person is different but when technically should you stop.???
confused.gif

Jellicle

Visit site
The guidelines say that there is no particular reason to stop, except that your centre of gravity changes from about 5/6 months gone and you may feel less secure in the saddle.

i am 13 weeks and still riding 3 times a week. I have given up jumping and hacking alone, but still do schooling and pop round the farm.

laura_1983

Visit site
there isnt a technical time to stop really, your midwife or doc can only say they dont advise it, my little girl is 7months now and i stopped riding 6 weeks before i had her, would have been 8 weeks but she came early, i put a post on here about same thing when i was pregnant and everyone has their different views, some people find that their bump makes the stopping decision for them lol, others think its a bad idea and didnt/would never ride when they were pregnant - i personally just rode horses i trusted, i could have gone on riding longer than i did but it started to tire me out, nothing to with the physical side. i was still taking canter rides out in the riding school at 6months, at my own risk though so if anything had happened then i couldn't have tried to get money out of my boss's insurance people. alot of people will find that really appauling but i felt safe and was happy doing it so thats what matters!

pixiebee

Visit site
well I am very early on so not planning too far ahead at the mo but worried incase I cause some damage or something! What I am worried about is my 4 yr old tbx needs riding atleast once a week to keep sane but I think its rather risky for me to be riding a young horse when pregnant. So my question is really more on when its really going to cause damage if I fall off him? I cant afford to pay someone to ride him so hoping a combination of lunging and borrowing someone to sit on him will surfice!

L&M

Visit site
I rode up until 36 weeks on my very sensible cob, but was lucky to have a very easy pregnancy and small bump. My doctor didn't have a problem with it as he said my body was used to it. By 36 weeks though, I was literally 'pottering' about, and getting on and off for frequent wee's was fun!
I advertised in a local paper and found somone to come and hack my lad out a couple of times a week after that, and was back in the saddle 2 weeks after giving birth as got away with no stitches. If I couldn't ride I lunged.
Re falling off, I came off at 6mnths pregnant, lost balance and at very slow speed toppled off and landed on my bum! Went straight to the Dr's for a check up and thank god everything was ok. However with a young tb I would may have been more cautious?
I don't know how I would have got through those first 6 months of 'baby' without my horse - hubby would come home from work and I would throw child at him and jump on horse and escape for a few hours peace!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I rode in a one day event when about 8 weeks. I realised I was expecting as I kept falling asleep every time I sat down, but didn't tell anyone as I desperately wanted to take my horse in this event. The dressage wasn't very easy and if she had pulled on the x country I would have thrown up!
We got round OK, but I didn't ride much after that as I didn't feel too good.

With my first baby I just rode until it was uncomfortable to get on although I didn't do anything very energetic so up to around 5-6 months.

It just depends on how you feel and also how your OH feels. If he is really, really against you riding then it would be better not to IMO.

Some docs are violently opposed, but generally I think medical opinion is that don't take up a new sport, but if you are used to an activity and fit and well then carry on carefully.

I can remember mucking out when absolutely huge and hoping that it would have the desired effect and hurry the baby up!

spaniel

Visit site
Most people I know have ridden until they felt unbalanced or uncomfortable, some right up to the day before birth but a lot depends on how much bump you are carrying.

A friend is due in April and I think she has had her final ride this week.....she couldnt get off!!!

fairhill

Visit site
I rode till the 7th month and had to stop because my pelvis hurt at night after I'd ridden. I've got a very safe (but wide, hence the pains!) horse and I'm not sure I'd have carried on for so long if I was at all worried about falling.
I gave my horse a holiday apart from a bit of lunging, and she's starting back in work now.
With a 4 yr old you might find a break from being ridden will do him a lot of good anyway
smile.gif

vickyhd

Visit site

My doctor's advice was 'Riding is fine, as long as you're sure you won't fall off!'
As a point of interest, I rode during my first and third pregnancies, but not at all during the second.
My eldest and youngest children are pony mad, and the middle one won't even look at a pony!
Is this a coincidence? I guess I'll never know...............!

shoo

Visit site
I stopped riding at 16 weeks due to pelvis problems, but continued with ground work until about 23 weeks then had to give up even mucking out and basically walking to far due to my pelvis. My daughter is now 23 weeks old and I'm still not back to riding (other than sitting on my boy once )so it depends on the situation as I thought I would be back in the saddle within a week of having her. How wrong was I!
frown.gif
frown.gif

jessica1508

Visit site
I rode until I had 6 weeks to go.

No problems except horse got an abcess which stopped me! Would of carried on until my daughter popped out!

All I had to do before I got on was to go for a pee! at the end of my pregnancy. I even jumped at the end.

Had I took any notice of my doctor I WOULDN'T even be able to ride when it was the wrong time of the month. Horses would have a field for a few days every month but hey thats another story!

Best advice is remember PREGNANCY is PREGNANCY not an illness EVERYONE is different and your body will tell when to stop.

I worked til the day before I gave birth and started work 3 days after and rode after 10 days. I just felt I could do it, think horses kept me fit and gave me something else to think about.