Riding with dodgy knees

maggiestar

Visit site
After years of riding and cycling my right knee crunches like pop corn when I walk downstairs. It also hurts if I twist it the wrong way. I went to the doc and she said I have a worn cartilage. Apparently it's degenerative so can't be fixed although exercise helps. I forgot to ask her about horse riding though! Does anyone else have a similar problem and do you think it's OK to keep riding?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
After years of riding and cycling my right knee crunches like pop corn when I walk downstairs. It also hurts if I twist it the wrong way. I went to the doc and she said I have a worn cartilage. Apparently it's degenerative so can't be fixed although exercise helps. I forgot to ask her about horse riding though! Does anyone else have a similar problem and do you think it's OK to keep riding?

I have had two knee arthroscopys on both knees and have continued niggles with them every since (in fact I had a CT scan today).
I actually dont have many issues when in the saddle luckily but when I do I just listen to what my body is saying and if it hurts I stop. For me its not the friction of rising trot that gives me problems it's more when I sit still for long periods such as hacking.

If the movement of rising trot appears to irriate it you may need to perfect your sitting trot, lol :D ;)

maggiestar

Visit site
Ha, there's definitely no excuse not to do sitting trot now! It does seem to help to keep moving although I was worried about exacerbating the problem. I guess you're right - just listen to what your body says. Thanks Paint and I hope your scan went well! :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've had similar with my knees but never really paid any attention as my back was the main issue. I've been having physio for my back and she was horrified at the state of my knees. However a few months down the line with the physio for my back, my knee problem is easing off. it might not cure it, but it cant hurt to have some really good quality physio. Mine gave me a big long explanation about ligaments etc making knee problems worse but I'll be honest that I paid no attention, I have however noticed its so, so, soo much better now!

Enfys

Visit site
Crunchy knees, creaky hips, yes, I feel your pain. I gave up riding horses that trot. Since I have been riding gaited horses I haven't had any pain, and I have ridden up to 6 hours a day. I have just come back from horse soccer, life is good, riding is fun again. I will never ride a trotting horse again though.

though.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My knees are awful - they are agony, crunch, pop, dislocate etc and I have had numerous surgeries which only added to the problem. I still ride, but am very limited - rising trot is horrendous, as are spooks, and getting off. I use a neck strap to help me balance, flexible stirrups have helped too, and I will just keep going for as long as I can!