Riding with no stirrups....

Lill

Visit site
Why is it that i can get Blue working really nicely, all rounded and into an outline when i ride with no stirrups but as soon as i have my stirrups back it all goes to pot??!

I am no dressage rider i will admit and have always showjumped, i presume this has something to do with it, my position must change a lot when i take my stirrups back?

Also find when i attempt sitting trot with stirrups my lower leg moves about all over the place as Blue has a big bouncy trot, how do i keep it still or is it just practise??

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

hayliana

Visit site
im quite similar, though for me its because my legs are about two foot long (damn them!!!) and without stirrups i can loosen and stretch my legs longer and use them that bit more effectively.

vicm2509

Visit site
I think its because you have a deeper seat when you ride without stirrups. Try riding with them really long, it really does work.

I_A_P

Visit site
probably because when your legs are longer you can wrap them around the horse nmore and get your leg on

Rosyryan

Visit site
I'm really glad that somebody else has notice this effect, also I am schooling my friend's gelding atm and couldn't be bothered to put my own stirrup irons on his saddle. He went so much better transitions up and down were much better. Spookily enough i rode him without a noseband today as we are trying to "sort" him out and she popped off to buy a cavveson noseband for him, poor lad he arrived with every gadget known to man in his "wardrobe" sack. He was much better relaxed through his poll and much freeer in his shoulders, so I wonder if anyone else has noticed anything like that?

MagicMelon

Visit site
He he, I have this when I ride in sitting trot - I find the horse goes lovely and light in my hand etc. and I sit up properly. Then as soon as I start rising again, its rubbish again!

Lill

Visit site
Yer it all goes wrong when i start rising! Blue has a really bouncy bouncy big trot too so i find it difficult to do sitting trot for long periods of time - i lose it and bounce instead if i try for too long!

Oaksflight

Visit site
Same here, just take to riding with dressage length stirrups, it's what I've had to do, as soon as they're shorter it all goes to pot!

serena2005

Visit site
try this,

every time you get on start riding normaly with stirrups then take them away for as long as you can, at stand bring your knees up (like jockeys), then keeping your knees up move them out from the saddle so you stretch the thigh then release and stretch your legs down, do this a few times, then drop your stirrups down a hole.

i think people have better natural postitions without stirrups, i love riding without them.

Peanot

Visit site
That`s wierd, as I`ve noticed that too. My stirrup leathers were on the last hole and I had to make another hole, and I find that it helps to ride longer. Also as above, sitting trot lets her go lighter.