Riding with straight arms- tips please

luie123

Visit site
Hi, I have a habit of riding with my arms straight, I keep trying to remember thumbs on top and bend my arms, but I seem to be struggling. Any ideas?

Thanks

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Put a long schooling whip behind your back and tuck your elbows behind it to hold it in place
wink.gif

Using a balance strap on the front of the saddle (attaches to the D rings) can help also.

RLF

Visit site
If you keep your arms straight, there usually locked out, so relax, soft shoulders, soft elbows and breath...
grin.gif

dianchi

Visit site
Practice is the answer!
Having mirrors when yu ride can help all aspects of position.

But just a reminder think arm by your side.

Practice practice practice!!!!!

Good luck!

luie123

Visit site
I think it stems from my horse snatching and I am aware of that, and I dont want to pull him in the mouth!

I think I will try the schooling whip though. thanks!

the watcher

Visit site
(titter) I have been heard to bellow 'Carl Hester hands' at riders in the arena..of course the result is that they overcompensate and hold their hands up in front of their chest, but they do drop to a more 'normal' level. Start at a position that feels far too high,and completely artificial..and try to maintain it for a few minutes. then you can drop to a position in front of your waist..every time you notice that your arms are going straight, overcompensate again..trust me, this works

luie123

Visit site
But if I look at where my arms are they are kind of level with pommel now, just there is no bend in my elbow. Maybe I have short arms for my body!!!

Imonone

Visit site
I had this problem.

Instructor made me ride on the lunge with no reins but hands in the reins position until I could maintain it and then let me have reins back.

Improved my riding no end!!

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Shorten up your reigns but don't pull as you push your horse on her head should come up and it should take the bit.

This is actually hard to explain but try and keep everything in balance e.g. not forcing the horse into anything but by putting the leg on to gain momentum once you have your elbow bend (remember not to lean forwards to achieve this) you're pretty much there, but as the other lady said, practice, practice & practice some more soon you'll have this mastered and then they'll be something else that needs work on, as such is riding

spike123

Visit site
straight arms are often a symptom of slouched shoulders.One thing that helped me (and this is going to sound bad..lol) is push your boobs out as if you are trying to attract a very good looking man.This automatically brings your shoulders back and helps you keep the bend in your elbows.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
That is the funniest piece of advice I've ever heard! I also ride with straight arms so I will be thinking "Barbara Windsor in Carry on Camping" next time I ride. Don't think I'd dare do it if there was anyone watching though!!!

spike123

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That is the funniest piece of advice I've ever heard! I also ride with straight arms so I will be thinking "Barbara Windsor in Carry on Camping" next time I ride. Don't think I'd dare do it if there was anyone watching though!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
yes thats the look you need to aim for.I have the misfortune of having a large bust but I wear a body protector so it tends to minimize the effect fortunately.I now wear it all the time because of male onlookers ogling me while I was riding at a show.A friend was stood behind them at the time and told me after they enjoyed my bouncing boobs
blush.gif

teapot

Visit site
Have them tied together with plaiting cotton - works wonders and hurts like hell

Just one of the gems that my instructor inflicts on me
grin.gif