Rig???

kateknights

Visit site
Hi everyone, I have taken on a 11hh pony 3yr old for a companion for my mare. Now he was gelded 9 months ago, so that was when he was approx two and a half yrs old.
Today my girl has come into season and he is up on her trying to you know what!!!
shocked.gif

Now my question is will this wear off with him as he was only done 9 months ago, or will he be like this forever, i have never come across this before?
Also will my mare be ok? or is this not good for her? She doesn't seem stressed by it.
Thanks in advance
Kate x.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also will my mare be ok? or is this not good for her? She doesn't seem stressed by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, sorry, but would you be?
tongue.gif

He's probably still being a bit coltish. As to whether it will wear off? Maybe, maybe not.

There are two definitions of rigs, ones who think they're entire and carry on as normal, and those who do retain testicular tissue after gelding. I had a gelding done very late and was practically a stallion bar his testicles. Totally behavioural.

Mushi is also a gelding done after running with mares, so he's VERY aware what these things were for, came charging out the trailer all excited when he first arrived!

Seemed to use up the last of his hormones for that though, cos he's been as good as gold since!

MillionDollar

Visit site
I had the same problem with my gelding. I got him when he was 3 and still entire. Had him cut and about 3 months later i put one of my pony mares in the paddock with him. Well what i didn't know was that she was in season, lol, and he covered her!!!!
blush.gif
What was even worse was that the next door neighbours kids were watching (2yo and 5yo)!!! Sooooo embarassing. Anyway after a few weeks with my other mares, who weren't in-season, he settled down and hasn't shown any stallion behaviour since.

Hope this helps, Claire