Riggy?

Nari

Visit site
Do any of you know if it's possible for a geldingto be riggy but show no particular interest in mares?

I've always put my lad's behaviour down to him just being quirky but recently a couple of knowledgeable people have queried whether he's a rig (I know he wasn't cut late) & it would certainly explain a lot of how he's best ridden, handled & some of his quirks. However he's never shown any real interest in mares even when they're in season - over the years there's been one or two he's got attached to but then the same can be said of the geldings he's been with.

Would it be worth getting him tested & if results were positive what, if anything, could be done? It doesn't cause me problems & I wouldn't consider any form of operation.

Skhosu

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. I haev a very grumpy gelding and often got asked if he was a rig, he also mounted mares!
however, discussed it with my vet and they said it was highly unlikley and whilst he acted quite stallionly, rigs tend to be highly highly aggressive.
He imporved after a year and a half of good fair treatment and has gone on to another family who aren't having any bother (I think).

MagicMelon

Visit site
He's probably just quirky like you say, and maybe it simply coincidence (sp!) that some of what he does matches what a stallion may do. Like you say, he shows no interest in mares which a rig certainly would! I had a rig many years ago, he would behave totally like a stallion - would go nuts over mares and beat the living hell out of geldings (if he jumped into the field with them......dont worry, we sold him on pretty quick to a knowledgable home as we couldnt cope - he was meant to be my second pony when I was only 12!!).

If he's a rig - you'd know about it!!

nicknack

Visit site
My old guy is 'riggy' and has always been an absolute demon for the ladies. I think if your guy shows no interest in mares, then its highly unlikely.

Nari

Visit site
Well that's good!

I thought it was unlikely but once it had been suggested to me it made me wonder - it wouldn't be the first time that his looks have got him mistaken for a stallion & a lot of his "quirks" would also have made sense.

I have owned a rig before & he was a nightmare for in season mares, he'd jump out, mount them & run all the weight off himself herding them. I really don't want that again!