Riggy?

oldie48

Visit site
I've no experience of turning a mare and a gelding out together but since losing Bisto and gaining Rose I now have Little Fatty, the sect A out with Rose. she hates him and makes it very clear that as long as he stays away from her they can live peaceably and mostly this is what happens. However, If I turn LF out and then turn out Rose later because we've been out to a clinic etc, there is a bit of mayhem. What is obvious is LF has his tackle out and is quite "squealy" Is he showing riggy behaviour or is he just relieved to see her back? The late Bisto used to let his tackle dangle quite a lot but I felt it was when he was relaxed although he had been cut late and had covered mares and it was nothing to do with having a mare around as I only ever had geldings. It's fine ATM but I am just wondering if it could become a problem when Rose comes into season.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's unlikely that he's a true rig if he's been OK up until now. If you've not had mares around before he's probably just a bit unsure of how to behave (and she's telling him off, by the sounds of it). I'd leave them to sort things out amongst themselves. I have a riggy mule that get put in his place in no uncertain terms by my mare; he still tries it on from time to time but they can both look after themselves.

oldie48

Visit site
It's unlikely that he's a true rig if he's been OK up until now. If you've not had mares around before he's probably just a bit unsure of how to behave (and she's telling him off, by the sounds of it). I'd leave them to sort things out amongst themselves. I have a riggy mule that get put in his place in no uncertain terms by my mare; he still tries it on from time to time but they can both look after themselves.
That's reassuring, ATM they are happily grazing at opposite ends of the paddock. I feel so sorry for LF, he and Bisto loved each other despite the difference in size.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh, my mare acts like she hates Rufus (the mule) too, but they both go spare if they can't see each other. Rufus (who is free range, although he does have a stable he can go in if he wants) sleeps outside her stable.

oldie48

Visit site
To avoid difficulty when you put her back out, I would bring him in, pop her out and then let him join her in the field.
Yup that seems like a plan, I think part of the problem is that LF is at the gate waiting for her and I think she feels a bit more vulnerable so gets in first as soon as I take her head collar off. Thankfully all our paddocks are quite close.

chaps89

Visit site
I moved yards recently and the YO paired my mare up with a little gelding.
She studiously ignored him for the first 3 weeks but just towards the end of this week she has started being pally with him - at coming in time (for the others) she quietly herds him to the back of the field as if to say it's not time yet!
So it could just be he needs a bit of time and they both need to find their feet? The idea of bringing him in and putting her out first then him going back out sounds worth a try.