Right, am I imagining it or are there more cleggies/ horse flies around this year?

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
As title really. My lad hates them and is stomping and swishing his tail. We keep him fly sprayed but have just ordered a fly rug for him, never used one on him before! So are you seeing more cleggies/ horse flies where you are? And what do you use to clear them?

FDC

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I'm not far from you and I noticed loads today - went to get a couple of the mares in and one of them was covered and going mad with them....for the first time this year, I think they were glad to come in for a while!

scazza

Visit site
No your not imagining it!!!! we are infested with them,all horses are being driven mad at the moment,only turned my two girls out for 2 hrs this morn,they were queueing up at the gate to come in,(even my little native fatty who doesnt have much turn out ran to the gate) bless...:eek:

pottamus

Visit site
Loads! Had a difficult time keeping them off my lad whilst the farrier tried to shoe him today...just constantly swatting them to stop them from biting.
My lad eats until he can tolerate them no more and then runs full pelt into his field stable for some restbite from them...he is lucky at least he can escape from them if he wants.

Vizslak

Visit site
I've not been near a horse for a week but there are MILLIONS of the bloody things the last few days when I've been walking the dogs. I must look like I'm doing the ministry of funny walks as I go along swatting and swishing the ruddy things off me! :eek:

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Nope - Manchester's teeming with them.
They're even getting my girl and they don't tend to bother with her so much but she came in bleeding from a bad bite the other day (she isn't out all that much - maybe an hour every 2 days!) and they're all scrapping round the gates in the fields wanting to come in :(
some have been out with no fly spray or rugs for weeks now
K x

jinglejoys

Visit site
Got masses off Malaga during a lesson last week,they seemed to get worse when the horses came over to the fence...maybe being only half horse he only got half as many! :D

Ibblebibble

Visit site
seem to be bloody hundreds of the evil things:mad: I've been managing ok with just ordinary fly spray until now, but i'm off to get some coopers tomorrow!!

muddygreymare

Visit site
There definately is! Bella is fly sprayed up, rugged when it is a bit cooler but she absolutely hates them, despite being grey. Tried putting garlic in her feed too but she wont eat it so going to try other stuff see if that helps as well. Stupid blimmin flies! :mad:

indie999

Visit site
I smacked about 5 horse flies this afternoon whilst hosing old boy down for a tail wash. Poor sod wack wack wack wack wack....even when got back to the field putting his fly mask on wack wack....anyone watching would think I was mad with him. Vaselined around his eyes too reckon he is getting nibbled. Udder creamed his sheath although he looked ok he has been bitten in this area before...Bless him no trouble at all!

The blood that came out of the horse flies yuk....But I was very pleased with myself to execute them! I think its worse.

darkhorse123

Visit site
definiteley - my fly spray isnt working - he has so many lumps and bumps - today i went to yard at lunchtime and he wasnt in his usual shadey spot under the big tree, but by gate, head over waiting for me - enough for me to know he needs to come in
- from tomorrow he will be in from 11 till 5.
When i brought him in today you could almost see him sigh with relief

MochaDun

Visit site
Bad with us too. Pony has started willingly walking towards me as I head up the field to get him which is not like him at all. And a crocodile of 3 others "let us in!" behind him coming along too! Hack out yesterday was just shake, slap, where is it, slap, shake, slap! He's so thick skinned his more delicate bits where the skin is so soft takes a lot of grief...poor chap.

pizzi

Visit site
We are in the West of Scotland and the clegs do seem to be worse than usual. Not noticing the midges so much because of the clegs! :( Horses being driven mad - having to bring them in to give them peace.

badgerdog

Visit site
They definitely seem worse to me. They were so bad out on a hack yesterday that we had to return after just 30 minutes which I've never done in my life before. Our horses were saturated in Power Phaser which is usually effective but they were attacking from all angles. My 16.2hh actually lifted up his hind leg and batted one of the top of his neck with his hoof while I was sitting on him! After our awful experience I went out and bought him a fly rug to help protect him (another first, I've always managed with fly repellent).

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Thanks Mrs B. I was going to buy some more Coopers' today but not sure whether to bother now. Hopefully my lad's new fly rug will arrive quickly!

Bl**dy things!
FDC

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yep, definately worse :(

1st time ever last week on opening the gate for the fuzzies from their daytime 'diet' paddock to their evening good-grass strip graze paddock, little Fuzzy had 10 mins & then promptly took itself straight back to the field shelter in the diet paddock, followed swiftly by big fuzzy.

Now, these 2 are walking dustbins and for them to leave nice (any!) grass is a 1st :eek:

This was at 5pm, I usally go about 7pm & haven't seen them do that....... till last night at 6 - then both did exactly the same.

So - gates left open during the eve now so they can escape back to diet paddock with field shelter in if they wish.

Last time I had types like this asking to get into shelters/stables consistently was prob back in 1990! :(

JenHunt

Visit site
yup, we have loads too, and the dreaded midge. :(

we have not yet found anything that will deter them apart from a fly rug. I got bitten yesterday through my jods - it's really sore and about the size of a saucer. I react badly to them and a dinner plate sized welt is not uncommon! :eek:

our boys come in for the day and go out at night to help them avoid the horse flies, but then the midges are worse!

indie999

Visit site
Our local vet gave us a little bottle of flypor as my sisters mare was getting bitten very badly last summer. It worked but it does burn so we dabbed it on with good gloves and it is used in cattle. We dabbed it on with gauze just all over on fur no mucous membranes and it does work

it is very expensive and is prescription only! But does burn and you musnt use it regularly.

apparently farmers pour it along cattles backs for long term fly repellent

Make sure you read the instructions it does work and is v expensive

have used Naff off/Human Deet/Deet of any kind strong/Coopers spent a fortune. The vet told us none of these work. I have just udder creamed the old boys tackle to stop him getting bitten.

I had never heard of Flypor until last year but broth in law farmer said they use it on cattle...Our horses live out 24/7 and I would say were hardy not sure if I would use it on anything very fine coated etc

frostyfingers

Visit site
They are dreadful here as well (Shrops) - it doesn't seem to matter when you ride, early or late and there are swarms. Poor horse is driven to distraction and I've only been doing 3/4 hour rides as it's so bad. He wears a rug and neck cover at all times and is still covered in lumps and bumps, and I also got bitten yesterday through my jods and on the palm of my hand. Like Jen I react badly and have taken to putting ice cubs on the affected bits whenever I can to stop them itching. I hate them!

Puppy

Visit site
I am yet to see a horse fly this summer :eek: I think I only saw about 5 last year (2 of which I killed whist they were biting me!) so I think we must be very lucky where we are. :) Good job too as I can't be doing with stabling, my girls would hate it.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I don't think you're imagining it at all . . . poor Kal is being plagued by them this year and several have got me too.

P

BorgRae

Visit site
I'm in North West too, Lancashire... We're inundated!!!!! Grrrrrr! Hate the damn things! :mad:

I darn't hack out!! Which is a shame as it's such nice weather (for a change) :(