right forelimb lame - overstretched ?!?

zulu705

Visit site
Hi,

I have a 15 yo mare who is mainly used for hacking and some unaffiliated XC. Last Sunday I was jumping in the school and she had to stretch to land after a small barrel jump that she didn't realise how wide it was, we did more jumps then went for gallop across some stubble fields. On road on way back she was lame. Hosed her down and put her in field overnight, next day she was a bit more lame and lying down which she hardly ever does. Hosed her leg and brought her in. Yard owner gave me some bute to give her. She had bute Monday night, and Tuesday morning and evening and Wed morning. No bute since. No heat or swelling in leg. Been in since Monday with 1 hour or so turnout last night in small paddock. Maybe one minor squashy bump just on inside of leg below knee that might or might not have been there previously. She has various lumps and bumps on front legs and windgalls on all four so not sure if this one is new or not. Also one hard lump that might be a splint? is this likely to be caused by oer stretch? She is now not lame in walk and maybe a wee bit in trot, so whatever she did, its getting better. Do you think this could be a tendon injury? The vet is coming out tomorrow to do vaccinations to other horses, should I get him to take a look even if she isn't lame tomorrow? Although she is getting better I want to know that I'm not going to do more injury if I turn her out in large field with herd of 9 others?

1928sky

Visit site
Definately get the vet to take a look and I would err on the side of caution and would not turn her out. You can have quite severe tendon injuries without the horse being lame, but I would still expect quite a lot of swelling, so quite unlikely its anything too severe in this department. To be honest though it could be anything so I think box rest and vet should be first port of call.

zulu705

Visit site
Vet been, did hoof testers, trot up and a good poke at the leg.
She decided that the injury was a lot further down than I thought. The tendon that attaches to the pedal bone probably.
Treatment was bute, further box rest till weekend, then turnout and walking in hand for a couple of weeks. So nothing to serious thank goodness.
Anyone know any good supplement type things I can give to help with this injury and generally strengthen the tendons in the future? Glucosamine or something? She also mentioned I could use Tensolvet on it but don't know where to get that.

jamesc

New User
Visit site
I dont like Bute so I looked for alternatives... Green Lipped Mussel is what I tried and it seemed to work really well, the company that supplied it for my mare with a lame front leg.

They said it was exellent for swollen stiff joints and that it would work really quickly well 10 days in she was sound 40 days later Ive been able to cut out the Bute!!!

www.maxavita.com

Try it!

They do the GLM, fantastic and it was cheap compared to Bute

brightmount

Visit site
I'm also using GLM though it hasn't been problem-free in getting my horse to accept it, as she is on a very small daily feed atm being summer, and she can detect it in her feed - it smells exactly how you would expect rotting shellfish to smell!

Maxavita encouraged me to persevere however, and I have been crushing the tablets to a fine powder with a hoof pick (otherwise she spits them out) and gradually increasing the dose in her feed. I'm now up to 3. The maintenance dose is 4 which I think she is now ready for, and in any case once she's in at night she'll get 2 feeds so it will be easier.

Even on a reduced dose and not having achieved the 10-day loading dose period, I think she looks generally more comfortable.

KE123

Visit site
Hi. I'm so pleased I've found someone else using pernamax from maxavita? Bill has been taking the tablets now for about six weeks and I'm really impressed at how quickly he is back up, happy and cantering about after months of painful swollen joints, I've even taken him off his Bute this week and he still seems really well. It seems to be a new product but I was wondering whether you knew about the company and if anybody else had had a similar experiences?