right horse right home

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Has anybody used the above site before?

I am off traveling in 6 weeks and need to sort something out for my gelding but don't want to sell him, problem being he is currently turned away due to work commitments so probably not going to be the easiest to loan out.

I put an add on the above site and have had a few enquiries, one sounds as if it may be ideal.
I suppose people don't generally know the people they loan to do they?

Equi

Visit site
Unless you actually know them, no you don't its a gamble. Esp for a horse who is not in work or has been out for a long time etc. I don't know many who would take such an animal bar those who just want a companion. 6 weeks is not a long time to find any home,but i hope you find a good one.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If the horse is genuinely no problem then why not bring him in a put a saddle on? He won't be fit enough for someone to "try" but at least they can see he is broken in.
That way you can also assess the other person.

I have had 2 horses like this. Both brought from field keep and lightly lunged the day before I went, then I went and had a ride after seeing the owner briefly on board on the day. One had been turned away for 6 months, the other for 3 years.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Thank you, I understand it is a gamble but I suppose loaning is always a bit of a amble?

The trouble with trying to get him in is that I am ridiculously busy with work atm and he is a lorry ride away from us and don't really have the stable space for him.

He was turned away last winter as well and was very easy to bring back into work. I have never had a problem with him doing anything he takes to most things like a duck to water.

Thank you both

Ambers Echo

Visit site
It is unlikely you would know the loaner and there are always risks that the loaner won't look after the horse in the ways agreed or that the loan ends unexpectedly. Can you mitigate either of those risks? Do you have anyone who can keep an eye on things for you and a plan for an unexpected return of the horse while you are away? Especially if horse comes back injured and in need of care.

How long are you away for?

TheMule

Visit site
It sounds like the most realistic option would be for you to send away on full grass livery. You have very little time to arrange something and check everything is ok before you go away, especially with the horse being out of work. If the loaners decide to send back whilst you're away what will you do?