Right then you generous lot - we need your £££ again! Save war dog....

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
http://www.justgiving.com/Tangye

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8450181.stm

Basically the soldiers adopted a black lab puppy Tangye (now 5 years old) in Afganistan and it goes on patrol with them including being around gun battles etc. Soldiers now deem it too dangerous to take him on patrol and want to send him home but it will cost thousands £. So a just giving page has been set up and I hope you will donate to bring him home!
smile.gif

Tickles

Visit site
Anyone else reminded of Franch rescue discussions? Or all the dogs already here that could be helped with that money?

<*ducks for cover*>

Obviously do wish the individuals concerned well though.

teddyt

Visit site
Im going to be very controversial here and say that £1000s could help alot more than just one dog in this country. Im not saying that the poor dog doesnt deserve to be saved nor that he hasnt helped the soldiers but if someone wants to save an animal from another country they should be prepared to pay for it. You shouldnt start along that sort of journey if you cant see it through. The dog wouldnt understand why it was left behind after 5 years.

vallin

Visit site
I must say I agree, I think the money could be much better spent on other charities-but at the end of the day each to there own! Some people think I'm mad for spending as much as I do on my horse :p

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think the point about these dogs is the tremendous support they give to our troops serving overseas - and thereby are so deserving of any help we can give them. If they've made life a bit easier for our boys in Afghanistan, then they can have my money any day of the week.

kerilli

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think the point about these dogs is the tremendous support they give to our troops serving overseas - and thereby are so deserving of any help we can give them. If they've made life a bit easier for our boys in Afghanistan, then they can have my money any day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

hear hear. i sometimes think we don't know how lucky we are, not to be conscripted and have to go and endure that.

teddyt

Visit site
Just to play devils advocate here and just an example of the top of my head- many nurses do a bl**dy good job saving lives, sometimes putting themselves at risk of personal harm, staying up all night and so on. They dont ask for help in paying for their horse that gives them the reason why they do such a difficult job!

I admire the people that are sent to war zones and fight but it is their choice to do so. They have chosen that career and want to do it. I believe they should be given appropriate training and equipment to be able to do that job properly, of course that should be supported but everyone struggles with moral, etc doing other equally valuable jobs and they rarely get extra support. Everyone makes their own choice and if they cant handle a job then they can choose to do something else.

Back to a hospital example, i would happily give money towards extra equipment to help save lives but personally believe it is not my responsibility to help a nurse rescue a horse from france because it supports him/her emotionally to do their job!

I honestly dont want to start another war on here, just my opinion!

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
God I didnt think I would be a comparison to french rescues etc!

Its not about the 1 dog, its about helping the soldiers out that obviously want the best for this dog but dont have the £ to get him home. Yes helping one dog is one thing.......and doing it for 100s if not of soldiers is another

DipseyDeb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just to play devils advocate here and just an example of the top of my head- many nurses do a bl**dy good job saving lives, sometimes putting themselves at risk of personal harm, staying up all night and so on. They dont ask for help in paying for their horse that gives them the reason why they do such a difficult job!

I admire the people that are sent to war zones and fight but it is their choice to do so. They have chosen that career and want to do it. I believe they should be given appropriate training and equipment to be able to do that job properly, of course that should be supported but everyone struggles with moral, etc doing other equally valuable jobs and they rarely get extra support. Everyone makes their own choice and if they cant handle a job then they can choose to do something else.

Back to a hospital example, i would happily give money towards extra equipment to help save lives but personally believe it is not my responsibility to help a nurse rescue a horse from france because it supports him/her emotionally to do their job!

I honestly dont want to start another war on here, just my opinion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but not the same! Nurses do a sterling job, as do police, docters, firemen etc!! But sooo not the same thing!!
confused.gif

sonjafoers

Visit site
My husband has worked in Iraq for a number of years now, he is a medic and as it is very difficult to get veterinary supplies etc where he is based he often has to use his 'human' medical knowledge on dogs and cats out there & he regularly goes back with vaccinations, wormers etc which we pay for & he uses on the dogs. A LOT of guys out there adopt dogs whilst they are there and whilst there are some that do organise care etc whilst they are back in the UK (most work a rota system so they are in iraq for 8 weeks for example, and home again for 4)there are an awful lot that leave these dogs whilst they come home. the dogs get used to being fed, kept indoors, having companions etc for a rota & they are then 'abandoned' for a period of time. Very confusing for the dogs I should imagine. Then when the guys finish their contract they up & leave and 99% of the time the dogs are turned back out onto the streets. I have to say this is only in our experience, and there are some dogs which have been taken back at great expense and a long time in quarantine. Sometimes these dogs that are brought home here or to the States do not settle. My point is that people do not think of the long term issues when they adopt these dogs in such places - ok I agree the dogs have a better life when the guys are out there but what happens when they leave, and with this one in particular what happens if the money can't be raised to get him here? Will he be left? I completely understand the desire to get him brought back here, and I am not saying it is wrong, I am just saying perhaps people should think a bit more into the future when they take these animals on.

lexiedhb

Visit site
QR- am I missing the point here, why cant they chuck said dog on the next plane/chopper out of there, whereby Im sure Labrador rescue will take it (GREAT publicity) stick "war veteran" on its cage, explain the story and said dog will be adopted by the first person to walk in there?????