Right to roam/common land for riders

stangs

Visit site
So I know that the right to roam only applies to pedestrians, and that we as horse riders need to stick to bridleways, but also that there are areas where there are "local traditions, or rights, of access [for horse riders]" where you don't have to stick to provided trails. Which has got me wondering how many such areas (with traditions/rights) are there?

I've done a bit of brainstorming and, out of places I've hiked/ridden in, all I can think of is:
- The New Forest
- Certain common land in Wales
- Richmond Park (in the off track season) and Hampstead Heath

What else is there (excluding Scotland for obvious reasons)?

In particular, I'm trying to figure out what the laws are around commons, if some of them have bridleways riders must stick to, whilst others allow for free roaming.

Last edited:

teddypops

Visit site
You can ride on forestry commission land as far as I am aware. There are lots of forestry commission owned woods near me and riding is allowed.

Cloball

Visit site
I'm not sure I understand, I was under the impression that the 'right to roam' on foot only applied to Scotland and common land. I'm not exactly sure what you're after.

Open access land over a certain height in the national parks is pretty fair game. There is plenty of rough areas I have ridden that only have historical rights of access both in Wales and the Lakes.

stangs

Visit site
I'm not sure I understand, I was under the impression that the 'right to roam' on foot only applied to Scotland and common land. I'm not exactly sure what you're after.
Wasn't sure what to call it, but areas where horse riders don't have to stick to bridleways/trails.

My experience with the commons I've been on down South is that riders have to stick to bridleways.

Shoei

Visit site
You can ride on forestry commission land as far as I am aware. There are lots of forestry commission owned woods near me and riding is allowed.

You can't ride in the Forestry land near us, they are very strict about it unfortunately

Cloball

Visit site
Wasn't sure what to call it, but areas where horse riders don't have to stick to bridleways/trails.

My experience with the commons I've been on down South is that riders have to stick to bridleways.
I think that's right but it can depend on local bylaws and historical access rights. Lots of places I used to ride as a teenager don't seem to have bridleway and yet people have always ridden there ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
There are many commons (tho not all are a good size) in Surrey where though there may perhaps be a bridleway crossing it, there are no restrictions to riding on all tracks. Occasionally there might be a CC marked footpath - which obviously are avoided on horseback, but many other tracks can be used at will.
Bigger commons are at Hankley, Elstead, Chobham, Stonehill, Horsell, Ockham - these all spring to mind immediately. most of these (not all) are managed by the Surrey Wildlife trust

DirectorFury

Visit site
In particular, I'm trying to figure out what the laws are around commons, if some of them have bridleways riders must stick to, whilst others allow for free roaming.

Re: common land in Wales -- the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 doesn't include horse riding, and so there is no default access to common land for this purpose (https://law.gov.wales/environment/c...he 'right to,or disturb livestock or wildlife. ). A lot of common land will have some bridlepaths on it, and the expectation is that riders will stick to these and not make their own paths.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Much more common around here that tracks which were obviously historically used for horses are restricted to footpaths or forbidden altogether as in private ownership. i'm particulary thinking of stretches of long distance trails like the Test Way, which are byways for most of their length, but footpath only for a few miles here and there.

Abi90

Visit site
I’m pretty sure you can go where you like on access land on foot, bike or horse?

you certainly can in the northumberland National park

Cloball

Visit site
Much more common around here that tracks which were obviously historically used for horses are restricted to footpaths or forbidden altogether as in private ownership. i'm particulary thinking of stretches of long distance trails like the Test Way, which are byways for most of their length, but footpath only for a few miles here and there.
Oooh that drives me crazy, there's quite a few near me that turn into footpaths for no reason. That and equine gates on footpaths and impossible to open gates on bridleways.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Delamere Forest (Forestry Commission) now welcomes horse riders. There's a choice of really good horsebox parking and loads of different route options.

No permits needed now, but 30+ years ago they used to be needed and they were very difficult to get hold of. So it is much better there for horse riders these days :).

paddy555

Visit site

I free roam our commons daily on our rides. I also free roam forestry commission land.I probably stick to the bridleway to get into the forest as that is the gate that opens. Then it is "off piste"

Caol Ila

Visit site
In Scotland, horse riders have the same access rights as hikers and bicycles. You can ride anywhere within the parameters of the access laws (not someone's backyard, crop field, etc.). In reality, however, you can't, because not all trails are passable by horses. There could be stiles, kissing gates, dodgy foot bridges. If I ever end up trailering places for hacks, I would want to recce any trail via foot or bike first, to make sure we won't run into an unfriendly stile or kissing gate.

Abi90

Visit site
Can you? Are there any rides that you would recommend?
I'm missing the pleasure rides already.

In Northumberland? There’s about 3 good ones on the National park website.

Tbh there’s so many bridleways that you don’t really need to go off them. Ingram and Alwinton are good places to start

Orangehorse

Visit site
A local Wildlife Trust wanted to fence a common, which was used by local riders who would have been forced onto a busy road.

They appealed to the local BHS Bridleways Officer, who - bless her - looked in detail at the law on commons and found that most commons can be ridden on. For instance the Malvern Hills have bridlepaths and footpaths but the whole area can be ridden on, the only path that cannot is a recent creation of a disabled access path.
Now, I do not know the law, but it applies to some but not all commons so I think you would have to contact the local BHS Officer who should hopefully know what commons in their local area it would apply to.

Incidentally, the common above was not fenced in the end and local riders are still able to use it to keep away from the roads.

scruffyponies

Visit site
The other one that gets my goat is the recently created 'mixed use rural cycle-footpath'... which excludes horses.
Have started riding one locally to see if anyone says anything. My plan is to steadily get all the locals used to seeing us everywhere. If they think we're allowed, we're allowed. ;)

stangs

Visit site
The other one that gets my goat is the recently created 'mixed use rural cycle-footpath'... which excludes horses.
Have started riding one locally to see if anyone says anything. My plan is to steadily get all the locals used to seeing us everywhere. If they think we're allowed, we're allowed. ;)
There’s tons of walk+cycle paths near me. Tempted to start using them under the assumption that surely, if cyclists can use them, they’re bridleways?