right what is your yard like

Josh_craney

Visit site
being suspecting for a while that yo doesnt have insurance anyway a few days ago yo wife admits to my mum they dont and they dont pay business tax, now im pretty sure that he has 6 liverys and also doesn not pay business tax is this acceptable???????

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
As someone who pays crippling business rates, I would leave that alone - if I find out who reported me they will regret it.
As for insurance, it is they who will regret that if anything happens. Mention it to them and see what they say.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Is that tax or business rates you're talking about?

Tax is tax, if you make money you should pay tax on it, simple as that. Tax evasion is a criminal offence!

Business rates are just like home owners paying council tax. People who don't pay make us who do pay, pay more.

Either way running a business and not declaring any income or paying rates is wrong - it's not fair on everyone else who conducts themselves honestly.

As for not having insurance - there's no way I'd keep my horses at a livery yard with no insurance. If something happened and I got injured there's no come back if you sue them.

vicijp

I am on about business rates. I assumed that would be what the poster was on about, not income tax.
I have no qualms about paying rates, but paying the amount I do when my dad already pays rates on the same property is out of order.
It was pure maliciousness on someones part.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Sorry vicijp... I was replying to the original poster... not having a go at you at all. Did you know you can appeal if you think your business rates are unfair? Sounds like you might have a case

Even for the original poster's YO I would never report someone, though I don't agree with them not paying what they owe I think it's up to the council/Inland Revenue to track non-payers down. I don't know how efficient council's are but the Inland Revenue will catch up with them eventually
shocked.gif

vicijp

I wrote them a long letter with a load of stats on cost of council housing etc - which I would probably need in a few years time! Cut it to nearly half, but still too much.
They were expecting a menage and a horsewalker though, looked hard but couldnt find them!

flyingfeet

Visit site
If you are talking about number of liveries then it is business rates. You can have insurance without paying rates.

We don't pay business rates, but cannot have more than 3 liveries (although frankly our 2 are enough!!
grin.gif
)

I wouldn't go shopping your yard owner to the council unless you want an increase in your livery costs or want to move!

dwi

Visit site
I would say shop them if you can cope with any possible repercussions. I'm sure that they would be the first to complain about the local police/school/hospital cuts yet they don't seem to think they should have to pay tax.

Avoiding tax is no better than walking into your local school and pinching a computer. Both mean that law abiding people have to pay more to cover for those who are being selfish.

Tia

Visit site
The fact that they hold no insurance for their yard is neither here nor there legally. It is totally up to them whether they are willing to take the risk. Presumably all of you horse owners hold insurance for your own horses therefore this is generally the insurance which pays out. I know that when I had my insurance for my yard in the UK I did have business insurance however in my Terms&Conditions I always had it written in that the horse owners had to have their own insurance to cover any eventuality - hence my insurance would not be affected by anything that happened unless it was literally someone sueing me or my yard.

As for business rates, they should be paying that, however once again is it really anyone else's business whether they do or they don't?

Sounds a bit trouble-making to me, personally. If you do decide to inform the authorities then I would be looking for somewhere else to board my horse pronto! You will not be your yard owners favourite friend again afterwards that's for sure.