Right? Wrong? Miserable old grump?

which one?!

• Total voters

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
As per the title really was I right or wrong to interfere, and does this make me a miserable old grump?

At the livery yard I keep my horse, there is a woman who has a few ponies and does a few lessons. When I got there tonight, two of her helpers where riding in the semi dark and fog, in one of the school. I heard the woman tell the girls not to jump, due to the light conditions, but later one of the other liveries told me girl 'A' was jumping. I went straight to the school and asked girl 'A' if she had been jumping, she said she had,[ QUOTE ]
but only coz she came round the corner and it was in front of her

[/ QUOTE ]. Told her to get off the pony and go and see the instructor and explain herself - I then called the woman to explain what I had done and warn her girl 'A' was on her way round to find her (girl 'A' is about 14yrs old, so should know better).

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
That was my view. I only stuck my nose in for the safety of the child and pony, had the instructor been nearby, I would have left her to sort it out, but she had gone to do her horses as she trusted these helpers to be sensible. The instructor seem pleased I had let her know, but I just felt a bit of an interfering old misery when I left the yard tonight.

Megan5

Visit site
It was dangerous, end of. So completely right to act. - Might still make you an old grump thou.
tongue.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Jumping in the dark is dangerous. That is a fact, so IMO you were simply helping poor deluded child to realise that and put hers&ponys safety over the fun factor involved in jumping in poor light, I would have done the same, and im no misery
wink.gif

annie02

Visit site
She was told not to jump and then chose to, that excuse that it was just infront of me? That is a teenager being a smart a*@ if you ask me. There is also a level of trust between a trainer and student that needs to be present, her trainer needed to know what she did.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Oh yes she is a right smart a@se alright. She is the oldest helper and thinks she knows it all!!! Could happily have killed her a couple of weeks ago when she scream help. I ran the lenght of the farm with my stomach churning to find out what was wrong (last time anyone screamed help on the yard, someone had found the handy man having fallen from a ladder, lying unconsious and choking on his own tongue), just to find her and chums messing around, shutting each other in the tack room. Arghhhhhh. I do feel most of the blame lies with the instructor, as she needs to keep a closer eye on her helpers, or find some sensible ones.

annaellie

Visit site
Yes you were right to say something about it, at least you said it to her and not b*tched behind the kids back and saftey should be a main issue well done for being upfront. We had a teenage girl who bought a horse and it was crippled and her or her dad would not have it that the horse was lame, people were calling her all sorts behind her back, In the end I went over and said I know your a novice but you need to listen to others and your horse is crippled and maybe you did not relaise but you do now so what it amounts to is crulety on your behalf riding the the horse and smacking him cause he wont move when he is crippled lame, Again these were smart a*ses and people did not agree that i done that has it was her horse.

hollyzippo

Visit site
I wish I could interfere at our yard but unfortunately its the stupid adults telling their horrid sprogs/students TO jump in the dark!

We have 2 lights down 1 long side and 1 at one end. I think its ok to jump on that side going away from the light (although I wouldnt as not fair to put horse in that position- too many shadows for my liking!). But one woman was making her son jump about 4 foot the other night, - was ok away from light then just ploughing through it toward the light. He was actually saying "Mum, he cant see the jump!" and she told him not to be so stupid and to come again!!

Also the YO makes students jump doen grid in the pitch dark or towards said light! Just waiting for a nasty accident, all you hear is poles flying across the school as horse plunged through it!! And they are meant to know better!!!
crazy.gif

gemz666

s19.photobucket.com
we have the same problem with one girl at ower yard also 14 she just mjumps her pony in what ever weather jumps down related distances made for a 16.2hh not a 12hh pony and hangs on the ponies mouth ( pony in a 3 ring gag last ring no rounding all the time)
grrr kids

Kelly1982

Visit site
If it was her own pony then i would of let her get on with it, i know its dangerous but its down to her BUT it was someone elses pony who had clearly asked them not to jump so i think i would of said something as the women needs to know these kids are putting her ponies in danger.