Ringbone, sidebone - what do you see on these x-rays?

louni

New User
Visit site
Hey there,

these are x-rays of a 5yo gelding, which I already showed to a vet (please no discussion here whether I should just simply believe what he said or not, I think it's never wrong to obtain some more opinions/information than just one).

RF
Fesselgelenk_VR_lateral_zpsecwnmysw.jpg

LF
Fesselgelenk_VL_lateral%203_zpslgtfiiky.jpg

Fesselgelenk_VL_lateral_zpsvcea3ojh.jpg

Fesselgelenk_VL_lateral%202_zpsx5m2tnch.jpg

LF
Strahlbein_VL_zps53p2e5lv.jpg

RF
Strahlbein_VR_zpssn74kkvd.jpg

The horse is clinically sound, being and jumped and as above said, 5yo.

I'm especially interested in opinions regarding ring- and sidebone.

Unfortunately the quality's gotten quite poor due to uploading, but if needed, I could send the originals via e-mail.

Thanks! :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I really don't think a bunch of randomers on a forum are going to be able to tell you anything that your own practioner hasn't already. Unless someone on here is a qualified vet?

skint1

Visit site
Yeah, I would agree with Cortez there, you need context when you look at these things- a vet is the one to provide that. Good luck though, I hope it works out as you would like

louni

New User
Visit site
Please, as already mentioned above, don't start a discussion about vet vs. "random strangers on a forum", I'm very well aware of that.

You don't have to be a studied vet to read x-rays and of course I'm not taking for granted what a layperson has to say about these x-rays either, but when a horse owner has a certain amount of experience with for example ringbone and did some extensive research by himself, I think he might have some interesting information to offer as well.

Last edited:

skint1

Visit site
Ok, well my old mare had sidebone that was at a much more advanced state than what is seen in your x-ray. With the right care from her farrier and vet working together she was sound as a bell, though I avoided road work and jumping. I have no experience of ring bone so I can't comment on that. My current horse has arthritic changes in his left front coffin joint, similar sort of management keeps him ticking over. That's all I can say really :)

Murphy88

Visit site
Ok well I'm a vet but I only do internal medicine, which means it's been a few years since I've looked at anything other than laminitis x-rays, I leave the legs / lameness to the surgeons. But there is some mild osteophytic changes on the RF proximal P3 and distal P2 on the lateral view, which yes, could be called low ringbone. In a 5 year old that would concern me a little just because it is going to get worse and even if horse is sound now I would worry that potentially the horse will have issues before it reaches retirement age. I would be wary of buying a 5yo with those xrays, but as I say I'm a medicine person so I try to avoid anything to do with legs and would consequently just get an orthopedic vet / surgeon to look!

wild at hoof

Visit site
These are clear X-rays but have been taken too close to the horse and has caused something called parralex error ... it means that the two sides of the bone don't line up on X-ray, so it causes the joints to blur and lose definition. That said there is potentially some low ring bone on rf.
as for side bone, the wings you can see on p3 are normal. Again it's a very clear X-ray so you can see these more clearly

Did you get any further in veterinary diagnosis?

scats

Visit site
Horse I had who had severe ringbone and sidebone- combination of an initial injury to a collateral ligament and subsequent bone formation to stabilise joint and poor foot conformation, showed extensively on xrays, much more obviously than those above. Having said that, I do believe there are some very mild changes showing on these (RF). Could we have more information on the horse?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
nah it's easy done, but as the OP didn't come back with more of the story in the first instance I don't expect they will rock up now but you never know!