Ringbone

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Grey Mare is wonky.

Had the vet it about ten days ago as she just suddenly went one evening. I thought she'd broken something.

Without the aid of xrays etc., concluded arthritis.

Since then she's had good days and the odd wonky day. This morning was a wonky one. I nearly called the vet, but then as I watched she walked off and was taking more weight.

She's looking good for an aged bonkers ex-showjumping ISH. Weight is steady and she's not tried to kill anyone, which used to be her go to when in pain, so I'm going with it's a forming period that she'll get through. She won't box rest or take Bute or Danilon (tried so many things to disguise them!). She's on a daily dog painkiller (1/4 tablet) and previous vet said it can't be upped. I'll check with the new vet tomorrow.

So folks, what your experiences?

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ringbone pain can be difficult to manage I lost a you do horse to it
The damage was minor the lameness blocked consistently to the pastern.

I would be giving Bute in paste form .

Abi90

Visit site
BBAE511C-E75E-441A-AF24-F7F0325B4862.png1C373115-3F65-41A5-B969-9B701D7566E6.pngMy mare has quite bad ringbone. She’s not lame, doesn’t flex lame, she does land laterally on that hoof to compensate but her foot balance is excellent and farrier keeping an eye on it.

Found it because I was having problems, root cause was the saddle it turned out as resolved once saddle fit was sorted, but glad I’ve found it as can keep an eye on it and support the joint.

She has most likely had it for a lot of her life and is probably from an accident as a youngster, it’s in just one leg and is quite advanced for a 7 yr old! There’s quite a lot of bones growth around the joint but most of it is outside the joint and looks old and moth eaten on the x-ray.

I was all ready to retire her to a happy hacker based on the x-rays but she’s quite happy on full work and will now go by what she says. She’s not stiff in the morning coming out of the stable and she doesn’t suffer after hard work. However I am no longer lunging, no more than walk on hard ground and she’s not being drilled in the school in repetitive circles and I think a dressage career is probably out of the window. I was all doom and gloom but just keeping an eye out now and letting her tell me if she’s not happy

Abi90

Visit site
The late maxicob had ringbone in one hind. Steroid injections helped him a lot, it was his gut problems, not his arthritis, that got him in the end.

Pic taken just after one of the jabs.

View attachment 48607

Good luck.

Sounds similar to us. Vet was quite keen to inject every 6 months, but I would rather do as and when we need to. Especially as it turns out that we probably didn’t need to medicate this time at all as the actual issue was her saddle

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all.

Sorry you lost one GS.

Will ask vet about both Bute paste and injections.

How long did it take to form? I'm hoping this isn't the end as she's been so good for so long, and is probably the most chilled she's ever bee, and due to the lockdown D1 can't get to see her yet.

Abi90

Visit site
Thank you all.

Sorry you lost one GS.

Will ask vet about both Bute paste and injections.

How long did it take to form?

I don’t know that one. It’s been there probably since before I bought her (passed a 5 stage vetting).

Is yours still in work? If so I would ask about arthramid as well, lasts longer and less damaging for the joint

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I don’t know that one. It’s been there probably since before I bought her (passed a 5 stage vetting).

Is yours still in work? If so I would ask about arthramid as well, lasts longer and less damaging for the joint

No to work, she's been retired for about six years (lost track!), as she has had various lameness and is awful to rehab.

Will ask about it, thank you.

Baywonder

Visit site
My old boy had low ringbone. It developed when he was in his late teens / early 20's. The vet did nerve blocks, followed by X-rays, which confirmed the vet's suspicions, and he was initially put on Bute. However, I then changed to Devil's Claw, which did seem to help him. He was already retired at this point, and his quality of life was pretty good - he was just a bit stiff coming out of his stable in the mornings.

Becca-84

Visit site
I've had 2 with ringbone. My previous mare (since lost to colic) was always lame on a circle but otherwise happy, didn't require bute but we were only hacking anyway and only a couple of days a week.

My current horse was diagnosed last year. He is 21 and I first noticed it after a jump lesson when he landed heavy after a particularly large spread. He developed lumps on the front of both pasterns. He had xrays and 2 courses of injections which helped for a while. He is now on 1 bute a day, with boswellia in the evening. He also has pads on in the summer when the ground is hard. He has good days and bad days, and we don't do any schooling or jumping now. I take each day as it comes with him.

If your horse won't take bute or danilon can you give devil's claw or boswellia a try?

SEL

Visit site
My heavy horse has it both high and low. Plus sidebone.

He gently hacked for a while but I stopped summer 2018 when the ground was hard and he's retired since. Had a bad abscess in March so the hoof is a mess. Farrier recommends seeing how he is once wall has grown back down, but hard ground isn't helping. He's on bute.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Do you know what type of ringbone she has? Is it articular/non-articular? I think that makes quite a bit of difference to what route may or may not work.

Mine really really improved after having the steroid injection into the joint. Whether it was because of the steroid, or the sheer amount of fluid that had built up in the joint capsule that was relieved when the needle went in (the pressure fired the needle back across the clinic floor!) who knows! But he never went more than 1/10 lame in front after that.

Reri1826

Visit site
Mine was diagnosed around age 8 when he was with his previous owner, low ringbone in a foreleg. He was loaned out as a happy hacker but was schooled, went lame again and then ended up with me. He’s 23 now, not doing a lot but that’s more to do with me and my circumstances than him.
He lives out and is best in light, regular hacking work. Spring and autumn seem to be his seasons, summer and winter he finds a little harder and can need bute.