Rings on feet

debsflo

Visit site
Looked at a horse that ticks most of my boxes but noticed her feet have loads of rings. Owners said never been lame or had Laminitis but I'm really concerned as had 2 with foot issues. I've sent pics to my farrier but won't peruse if they are not healthy. I have read different info ,some say event lines caused by diet ,stress Tec others say hoof balance issues or low grade Laminitis. Owners were shocked when I mentioned it. Should I steer clear.....shame as horse otherwise nice.thx

rowan666

Visit site
Was it you that posted on the barefoot page? I would take anything from that page with a pinch of salt, many of them are crazy fanatics! I'm far from an expert but those lines looked liked event lines to me, (one of mine has them and hes never had lami or bin lame) but I think the hooves did look quite upright, would be interesting to see a pic of the horses full conformation. I think sending pics to your farrier was the best thing, he should be able to give better advise.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lots of thing cause rings .
Two of mine get one everytime they are sedated .
Change of field a trip to the vets a long journey can cause them in the sensitive
It's really something to discuss with the vet who doing the pre purchase examination
If the horse goes between grazing and no access to grazing they often get a ring .
You might ask the owner to release the vet records to you .

Pilib

Visit site
My horse has a very noticeable ring from having an abcess than under run the sole. The sole came off eventually and there is now a very noticeable ring.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Rings would concern me because it does say that for some reason the horse is more sensitive than others to something. Drugs, food, exercise, stress will do it to some horses.

If the horse does have rings, then foot balance issues would show in rings that are not level (dip, arch or slant).

I don't think I'd buy a horse with a lot of unexplained rings, sorry, it is a risk that it's a ticking time bomb for metabolic disease.

Last edited:

PollyP99

Visit site
Mine has rings on field change as others have said, she's never been "foot" lame, had an accident to the fetlock which put her on box rest but she's come through that (which could have been mobility ending in others) so I don't think it would out me off.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My warmblood always has rings on her hooves, never had an abcess, never has laminitis or a days lameness due to her hood (prating around in the feild and tweaked a suspensory though)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I managed to cause rings on the hooves of four horses by cutting molasses from their diet. My grey also had big rings from when she was weaned. If the seller can say why the ring was there and it's a reasonable reason, I wouldn't be concerned.

debsflo

Visit site
Seller hadnt even noticed....the horse has been on working livery for 9 months as daughter at uni hence reason for sale. I suspect she has been managed v differently than i would ..
My horse has a big ring from when i took her shoes off so i understand that one.

muckypony

Visit site
All of mine have rings on their feet, all barefoot and not had lami. Farrier says they're just from change of grass/feed etc.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Rings aren't at all uncommon. But a foot with lots of rings on it has to be a bit suspect unless the seller can account for each one.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Parallel rings I wouldn't be so worried about, rings which widen at the heel I would steer well clear of, it's a common sign of laminitis.

debsflo

Visit site
Farrier has looked and is not concerned. Said they 're growth rings related to changes and confident we can improve them if I decide to peruse.