Ringworm but not ringworm IYKWIM

JillA

Visit site
Big 19 yr old TB has had what looked like urticaria which he usually gets in the fly and weeds season, he is just one of those horses that are susceptible to anything that he can get *sigh*. I always assumed it was some sort of allergy. The lumps have now got crusty scabs - not circular but horseshoe shaped where there is a structure, some are just random. They are a bit sensitive when I put some antifungal cream on them (just in case it is some sort of fungal infection). Any ideas before I decide whether to carry on treating for a fungal infection or give the vet a shout?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
F has always been prone to random scabby round lumps, I did skin scrape once just to check.
My conclusion was that any sort of skin disturbance so a fly, or a heat bump etc he would really easily get a low grade bacterial infection in the area.
sudocreme with sulphur powder was the best thing I found, if I didn't want to turn him yellow fungatrol would sometimes help too.

JillA

Visit site
Any older horse with an odd skin infection is worth testing for Cushings

Thanks - we are the PPID experts, on my 2nd now :( He doesn't have any other symptoms, but his immune system isn't the best, he was effectively thrown away and almost starved to death at the age of 10 and it has left his metabolism up the swanee. This is the horse who got light sensitivity burns from buttercups when no-one else did, has to have a high protein diet even on fetlock deep grass just to keep his ribs covered.

I have some silver ointment, might be worth using that as well as sudocreme, thanks Ester

Gift Horse

Visit site
One of mine had a lump where the saddle flap would cover it, it was a hard lump a bit bigger than a 5 pence piece. He had it a while and I was keeping an eye on it. It started to weep and I thought it looked ulcerated, I sprayed it with purple spray which dried it up and had the vet take a look, vet was unconcerned and advised keeping an eye on it. It scabbed up in the horse shoe shape you describe and the new hair followed the same pattern - it’s completly resolved now.

Diddleydoo

Visit site
his immune system isn't the best, he was effectively thrown away and almost starved to death at the age of 10 and it has left his metabolism up the swanee.

This would be quite expensive in the long term for a big lad like him but it could be worth a couple of bags to see if there's any sign of improvement. Failing that good old micronised linseed is great for skin and coats.

https://forageplus.co.uk/product/hoof-and-skin-health-summer-horse-feed-balancer/

ETA. He doesn't get any alfalfa, or barley, does he?

JillA

Visit site
This would be quite expensive in the long term for a big lad like him but it could be worth a couple of bags to see if there's any sign of improvement. Failing that good old micronised linseed is great for skin and coats.

https://forageplus.co.uk/product/hoof-and-skin-health-summer-horse-feed-balancer/

ETA. He doesn't get any alfalfa, or barley, does he?

Have no fear, he is well on Forageplus' radar, it was Sarah who suggested the protein. Why the question about barley? He does get micronised, as an ex racer his system is used to cereals and it is about the only way, with the protein, to get and keep weight on him. BTW this skin problem only presents in summer so it seems to be fly bite or plant allergy related

Diddleydoo

Visit site
Have no fear, he is well on Forageplus' radar, it was Sarah who suggested the protein. Why the question about barley? He does get micronised, as an ex racer his system is used to cereals and it is about the only way, with the protein, to get and keep weight on him. BTW this skin problem only presents in summer so it seems to be fly bite or plant allergy related

Glad that he's on first name terms with Forageplus, Sarah is great, :DI've sent her many a long winded question:eek:

Someone I knew had terrible issues with her gelding getting mysterious lumps and it turned out to be barley.

Frustrating that it's seasonal, great that it's guaranteed to clear up come winter but not helpful when you don't know if it's something you did or something that's stopped biting/pollinating

JillA

Visit site
Barley is notorious for it

Interesting - I have fed micronised barley to horses in work for over 30 years and never had any skin reaction - is it modern strains do you think?
Anyway he is back in his fly rug tonight, now it has dried out after the wet weather so we'll see if that protects him. The silver cream helped the scabby bits

Diddleydoo

Visit site
Barley is notorious for it

I didn't know that.

It's always stayed with me because the horse looked dreadful, I've never seen anything so lumpy :eek: . He went back to normal fairly quickly once it was taken out of his diet. But he's the only one I've ever known

JillA I've heard good things about silver cream. Hopefully the fly rug will help too

Carrottom

Visit site
My old TB mare used to get a crusty reaction to fly bites. I found that Gold Label Wonder Gel helped to clear the up. The only way to prevent them was to stop the fly bites. She would be in during the day in the summer and smothered in spray when turned out.

oldie48

Visit site
My old TB (who did have cushings) used to get something like this, very itchy for him and he'd rub himself raw. I found the best thing for him was a steroid cream from the vets, which they made up themselves. It was very soothing for him, so stopped the itching allowing the scabby skin to heal.