Ringworm?!

Skhosu

Visit site
Think my boy may have it.... he has around ten round lumps,flattish and some have a hollow in the centre!
Also, some of the lumps are scabby and bleeding and I think he may be itching one in particular. One in his saddle area is sore.
Anyone any suggestions if I'm correct?

brightmount

Visit site
Get the vet to look at it. If it's ringworm he will probably give you imaverol which clears it up very quickly. When my horse had it, it was a patch of sparse coat that spread and became progressively more bare. You need to clear it up if it's ringworm as it's very contagious to other horses.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Mine had it (or at least we think it was it. Vet wasn't 100% but said treat it as if it was anyway as 2 others on yard def. had it). Used some form of imaverol, make sure you don't touch other horses. I used overalls when around mine and latex gloves. Spray all stable walls (anything he/she has touched especially those that are wooden) with an agricultural disinfectent. Sunshine helps to get rid of it so if possible try get him out, but if on livery not always possible. Mine was stuck in his stable for 3 weeks straight. Was awful.

Was just patches of hair missing on mine, no scabbing or bleeding so would get the vet out. Very often confused with rain scald as looks similar.

Oh, and we cleaned his tack and grooming kit with the stuff vet gave us to bathe him with (forgotten it's name), and rugs etc need to go through wash on a 60 degrees wash, this will kill all the bacteria causing it.

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ringworm is caused by a fungus, not bacteria!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, blonde moment!
blush.gif
I knew that.
grin.gif

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
get some iodine from the chemist and put on rubber gloves
and get cotton wool and dab on all circlesinner and outer

remeber that this ring worm is highly contagious and not just to other horses but humans to--

so foot bath , on exit entry, disifect all brushes stable
rugs, nunmahs clean all tack in mild solution of milton

all horses to watched--- for an outbreak...
if you catch it same thing iodine--neat on the spots and rings

the coat when cleared up will have big huge dapples dont worry the skin and hair will grow back and the following season of shedding will bring the coat back to original state

vets can give new oral drug for horses but takes over about 2weeks to clear -- old remedy iodine for 99p a bottle out of chemist does it within a couple days--

but be clean foot bath full of disinfectant on entry/exit
and rubber gloves to handle horses.

do not stroke another neddy....horse to be seperated

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
You shouldnt use Iodine unnecessarily when there is another option - overload can b#gger the thyroid up. Plus it is likely to blister all the hair off.
Get some Imaverol for the horse and GPC8 for yourself and the surrounds, remember to wash your clothes in it.

Kelly1982

Visit site
When my horse had it he lost all his fur in little circles.

I would call the vet if i was you as it is VERY contagious to other horses AND humans.

I actually caught it off of my horse from treating him everyday!!!!

Fairynuff

Visit site
The old cure was lemon juice dabbed on the baldy bits-it works, costs little and doesnt damage the horse nor the environment. You can always steamblast the box or wash it down with Jeys fluid. If you manage to catch it from your horse, you are entitled to SIX weeks OFF work as I was (on full pay)Go for it-its not in the least painfull, just a bit itchy. M.
laugh.gif