ringworm

Malibu

Visit site
i was wondering if a horse has ringworm, is the horse's rugs, tack saddlecloths infected? if so do you wash them down with the wash stuff you can get?

When we got Rupert i know he had just ahd ringworm, he has about 6 rings now which are bald and dry, previous owner said that he had been treated and it was basialy gone but i ahve bought new rugs for him but dont want to put them on untill he is rid of the ringworm, is he rugs and tack he came with possibly infected?

_April_

Visit site
Yes they will be... it can even infect fence posts!

It's spread by indirect contact and direct contact so thats horse to horse and also horse to you/brushes to horse!
Make sure you scrub tack, brushes, absolutely everything!

Malibu

Visit site
golly i am paranoid now, sodo i have the get the scrub from the vet or will the equine store have it?

do you know names of any scrubs? can i use iodine solution on the rugs?

My mujm suggested taking his rugs to the rug cleaners, woudl that beok and succesful?

_April_

Visit site
Heya,

It depends really... if he is just in the recovery stages and the skin looks back to normal (albeit bare!) you will probably be ok.

I would check with his old owner to check if she treated all his gear and if she did then you will be ok, if not just get your vet to recommend something and do it yourself.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Yes, can live in wood for years so get some farm industrial disinfectant and spray down all the stable many a time. Washing rugs in industrial washing machine on 60 kills it. Tack I cleaned mine with the wash that my vet gave me for Hal.

Oh, and don't forget about your grooming kit!