RIP Bernard

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sadly Bernard the brown Burmese was PTS this evening due to kidney failure. He had suffered from congestive heart failure for a few years, but due to his super nature he let us give him his medication of five pills a day and his heart was doing really well. So it was a bit of a shock to us that it ended up being his kidneys that let him down in the end. The poor lad went downhill quickly and was rushed to the Vets, but there was nothing to be done.

Oh Bernard, you were an absolutely irreplaceable darling of a cat, who loved nothing more than company whether it was human or feline, as well as being a complete and utter s*d who liked to eat rabbits on my bedroom floor. I may even miss that bit.

attachment.php

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks everyone. He was a real character, so much so that his nickname was 'the bad cat' said with affection of course. He even broke a TV once by peeing on it (he aimed right at the vent and apparently cat pee and electronics don't mix) and the first night that I had Kasper he broke into my bedroom so that he could wash him. He really loved kittens.

The house is so quiet without him. That Burmese meow is pretty unmistakable... and loud.

Mrs B

Visit site
So sorry, Faracat ... such a beautiful boy and clearly one of the really, really special ones (not that they're not all special, but you know what I mean!)

Sleep well, Bernard and hugs to you, F x

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
So this is after he broke into my bedroom. You can see how tiny Kasper was (and how clean). They really were great friends and Kasper is not a happy boy tonight.

attachment.php

Bernard with Percy. I had all three cats on my bed at one point last night. That's never going to happen again. *sigh* :(

attachment.php

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sadly Bernard the brown Burmese was PTS this evening due to kidney failure. He had suffered from congestive heart failure for a few years, but due to his super nature he let us give him his medication of five pills a day and his heart was doing really well. So it was a bit of a shock to us that it ended up being his kidneys that let him down in the end. The poor lad went downhill quickly and was rushed to the Vets, but there was nothing to be done.

Oh Bernard, you were an absolutely irreplaceable darling of a cat, who loved nothing more than company whether it was human or feline, as well as being a complete and utter s*d who liked to eat rabbits on my bedroom floor. I may even miss that bit.

attachment.php

So sorry Faracat - what a handsome looking cat he was and such a kind face. RIP Bernard sleep well little one. :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thanks everyone. He was a real character, so much so that his nickname was 'the bad cat' said with affection of course. He even broke a TV once by peeing on it (he aimed right at the vent and apparently cat pee and electronics don't mix) and the first night that I had Kasper he broke into my bedroom so that he could wash him. He really loved kittens.

The house is so quiet without him. That Burmese meow is pretty unmistakable... and loud.

I looked after my sisters two Burmese but they are not vocal, I have now had a red Burmese handed in having to find a new home for him, boy is he vocal yowling like a Siamese.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
How devastating for you Faracat. It sounds like you have lots of lovely memories to look back on. He was a gorgeous chappie. Sending you a big hug as I know how it feels. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS: I totally 100% love the fact you called your cat Bernard!

npage123

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear about that, Faracat. RIP Bernard.

I'm also mourning the loss of my 16 year old Chinchilla, who was the loveliest cat you could ever wish to own. She used to have kidney failure for the last few years of her life, but that never seemed to have any effect on her. However her weight was a big issue and she just wasn't interested in any renal food available, apart from 2 makes of biscuits and 2 types of wet food. Her weight always hovered between 2kg and 2.5kg. She was given a quarter of a Periactin tablet every second day, which did make her eat more. When we put her to sleep last week she only weighed 1.8 :( It was a massive stomach tumour which took her life in the end. I knew something was seriously wrong as she was hiding away the day before I took her to the vets, and during the night and on her last day she had laboured breathing, very shallow and faster than normal.

So I know exactly what you're going through at the moment. My best wishes that you cope with your loss more and more easily until you can think of Bernard without shedding a tear.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your girl as well npage123. Our kitties passing away is such an awful thing to have to go through and it leaves a massive hole in your life and in your family, and I found that no matter how much everyone said "you're doing the right thing" or "it's for the best" I still felt like a wretch. My advice (FWIW) is grieve, cry lots and eventually you will start to think of the funny things they did, and how they enriched your life just as much as you enriched theirs. Hugs to both of you, and for anyone else who is going through losing a pet.

npage123

Visit site
Thank you very much, BeckyFlowers. I didn't expect a message to me as well - sorry Faracat, it's your thread - I really appreciate your kind words.

{97702}

Visit site
Faracat I am so sorry, I am a stalwart dog person rather than a cat person but I love Burmese cats and Bernard was clearly not only stunningly attractive but also a fabulous personality :)

Npage123 I am also really sorry for your loss, it sometimes seems like the longer we have them the bigger the hole they leave xx

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thank you very much, BeckyFlowers. I didn't expect a message to me as well - sorry Faracat, it's your thread - I really appreciate your kind words.

It's fine, don't worry about it, I really don't mind sharing the thread.

I'm so sorry for your loss npage. They really do mean so very, very much.