RIP Fox Hunt

LizzieJ

Visit site
I was impressed with how quickly the Jockeys pulled up, I can't imagine it is easy to notice people telling you too in a 1m flat race!

Shantara

Visit site
I was admiring how lovely the horse was, thinking how pretty it was...then it fell. I don't watch racing a lot and I had turned it on while I waited for my parents to be ready to go out.
Poor horse, I hope the jockey is ok too. Utterly horrible to watch :(
R.I.P Fox Hunt

Visit site
Such a shame as he was a very tallented horse. The jockey is ok and the race is being re-run at the end of the card.

Quick, good thinking by officials to get the race stopped before the horses got back round to him.

Shantara

Visit site
I'm glad the jockey is ok (Just read the article, that'll teach me!) I recently read an article from the jockey's point of view and stupidly, it hadn't occurred to me how badly the rider could be hurt in such a situation.

teapot

Visit site
And in the re-run of the race, it looks like at least two horses were pulled up VERY quickly and on 3 legs :(

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Very sad about Fox Hunt and Bronze Cannon was the other fatality in the rerun. A lot of people on the Racing Post site are saying it shouldnt have been rerun including a commentator who expressed his concern before the race.

dominobrown

Visit site
It was horrible to watch, however they dealt with it very well. However I think they re-run would of been best off being today, or at the next meeting there, just so the other horses would be at their best.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
Grand Vent was also PTS, 3 horses in one race is terrible. I knew as soon as the commentator said the ground was firm there was going to be trouble. they should never had re run it. RIP Fox Hound, Bronze Cannon and Grand Vent

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I saw the first race, and thought how bad it was for one to break a leg, but then to see another do it.. its awful,

why are these horses breaking legs by just galloping?. are they not as strong boned as they used to be?

LadyRascasse

Visit site
The ground was declared firm. The race should never have been staged once let alone twice. Firm ground is almost like galloping down a road for 2 miles!

amage

Visit site
I saw the first race, and thought how bad it was for one to break a leg, but then to see another do it.. its awful,

why are these horses breaking legs by just galloping?. are they not as strong boned as they used to be?

Not exactly unusual for a horse to break a leg galloping...its basic physics. Half ton weight on one small cubic area and if it doesn't hit the ground spot on or jinks or any bazillion number of things goes wrong then ACCIDENTs happen!

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
I'm reading a history of the early days of the TB, and way back then, the horses ran many heats every day over considerably longer distances. I wonder if it would be worth combing through those old records to see how many horses shattered legs while running.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Not exactly unusual for a horse to break a leg galloping...its basic physics. Half ton weight on one small cubic area and if it doesn't hit the ground spot on or jinks or any bazillion number of things goes wrong then ACCIDENTs happen!

Yes I understand all that, but ive watched racing on and off for years, it just seems all of a sudden lots seem to be breaking legs, or I wonder if the same amount did break them say 20 years back, but it was never news..

luckyoldme

Visit site
the owners and trainers and everyone involved only have the horses best interests at heart.
The horses come first last and foremost.
In no way can it ever be suggested that the race could be the cause of the horses' deaths.
Its just an unfortunate coincidence that three horses snapped their legs in one race .
And my dads the pope.

amage

Visit site
Yes I understand all that, but ive watched racing on and off for years, it just seems all of a sudden lots seem to be breaking legs, or I wonder if the same amount did break them say 20 years back, but it was never news..

Well technology has alot to do with the information being more instantly available be it good news or bad news so people not necessarily interested in racing or following the results will hear of injuries & fatalities where in the past they probably wouldn't have.

"the owners and trainers and everyone involved only have the horses best interests at heart.
The horses come first last and foremost.
In no way can it ever be suggested that the race could be the cause of the horses' deaths.
Its just an unfortunate coincidence that three horses snapped their legs in one race .
And my dads the pope. "

Funny all you racing bashers aren't slating eventing on the thread about Sir Roscoe dying today....double standards alive and well on HHO

tristar

Visit site
i can only think of the distress, terror and pain of those horses, so young, so beautiful, so vulnerable, god bless dear horses.

Visit site
I am a bit of a breeding geek when it comes to TB's and over the last 6-7 years have looked into many, many bloodlines. From what I've seen and taken note of you have 3 types of TB -
The Coolmore ones which generally have good conformation, breed good conformation and are fairly set though they don't always have the most straight forward of tempraments.

The Darley ones which are usually devestatingly pretty and dainty, have decent depth to them, a good attitude but they tend to lack back ends and don't always have the best basic conformation or the best feet.

The Juddmont ones. These are usually heavier set that the previous 2 in all respects. The ones I have come across have all had big heads, good shoulders, big bums and a decent set of pins on them - though not always the straighest of legs.

They say conformation can be overlooked if the horse does the job required of it. Dodgy conformation will always lead to a higher risk of injury with the speed the legs are being required to work at.

2 of the fatally injured horses were Darley/Godolphin bred. The 3rd had half of their bloodlines on the dams side. Go figure.

It's the mass inbreeding of these horses that start to produce the conformation faults. These horses are then trained, are sucessful and then bred from again thus producing more of the fault. And so on and so forth. If you removed every TB that had a fault big enough to possibly induce injury from the paddocks then you would be left with a mere handful. It's the same with everything - you choose the lesser of two evils when crossing horses and hope the offspring turns out better basically than it's parents.

Visit site
i can only think of the distress, terror and pain of those horses, so young, so beautiful, so vulnerable, god bless dear horses.

Try wired to the moon on adrenaline! Feeling no pain and pumped full of drugs before they can begin to feel any! Injury assessed, decision made and horse either being trucked off to horsepital or put down within 10mins.

VS

Pony in field, galloping along, breaks leg - how long until they get checked again and someone notices? How long until the vet gets there? How long until damage assessment is done? How long until the decision is made?

And people say racing is cruel.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I am a bit of a breeding geek when it comes to TB's and over the last 6-7 years have looked into many, many bloodlines. From what I've seen and taken note of you have 3 types of TB -
The Coolmore ones which generally have good conformation, breed good conformation and are fairly set though they don't always have the most straight forward of tempraments.

The Darley ones which are usually devestatingly pretty and dainty, have decent depth to them, a good attitude but they tend to lack back ends and don't always have the best basic conformation or the best feet.

The Juddmont ones. These are usually heavier set that the previous 2 in all respects. The ones I have come across have all had big heads, good shoulders, big bums and a decent set of pins on them - though not always the straighest of legs.

They say conformation can be overlooked if the horse does the job required of it. Dodgy conformation will always lead to a higher risk of injury with the speed the legs are being required to work at.

2 of the fatally injured horses were Darley/Godolphin bred. The 3rd had half of their bloodlines on the dams side. Go figure.

It's the mass inbreeding of these horses that start to produce the conformation faults. These horses are then trained, are sucessful and then bred from again thus producing more of the fault. And so on and so forth. If you removed every TB that had a fault big enough to possibly induce injury from the paddocks then you would be left with a mere handful. It's the same with everything - you choose the lesser of two evils when crossing horses and hope the offspring turns out better basically than it's parents.

Interesting stuff... thank you,

tristar

Visit site
there is a direct correlation between conformation and soundness.

a lot of american tbs have their legs operated on before they make it to the racetrack.

the only fair way to breed is to put the most perfect to the most perfect or don't breed, we make the decisions, the responsibility lies with us.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Try wired to the moon on adrenaline! Feeling no pain and pumped full of drugs before they can begin to feel any! Injury assessed, decision made and horse either being trucked off to horsepital or put down within 10mins.

VS

Pony in field, galloping along, breaks leg - how long until they get checked again and someone notices? How long until the vet gets there? How long until damage assessment is done? How long until the decision is made?

And people say racing is cruel.

have to agree there, I was hacking my last horse on the road (when I lived in the UK) when she spooked (at something in the grass) into the path of a lorry, we were thrown to the ground and she broke her back pastern and dislocated a front fetlock, we had to strap her up and get her off the road into the yard (30 metres away) and then wait 30-40 mins for the vet to come and PTS... if she had been on the track she would of been put out of pain within minutes.. it was one of those things, but people still ride on the roads

tristar

Visit site
EKW try being a highly sensitive and intelligent animal that is totally aware of what is happening, then to lose your life in painfull and tragic circumstances, very young, when you have personally experienced this you will be qualified to speak for the animals.

if a pony hurts itself in the field here, it will be dealt with immediately and quietly, there is always someone here, horses are our life and their welfare comes before all else.

sadly a large part of the problem is that they are so young, they have not yet gained their full skeletal strength, are in a state of growth and therefore somewhat unbalanced, maybe this contributes.