Rising to the canter...

GTs

Visit site
I am not an expert, but I believe it is a more fluid movement making it less strenuous for your horse. You can really feel the difference in your horses when rise and you will notice your horse does seem to have more in them.

watcherathome

Visit site
yes, because I have a very stiff lower back so cannot sit to a canter for very long..given my excessive weight it is probably kinder to the horse too!

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am not an expert, but I believe it is a more fluid movement making it less strenuous for your horse. You can really feel the difference in your horses when rise and you will notice your horse does seem to have more in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it certainly is less strenous on my back, knees and thighs compared to a normal forward seat - yes I am VERY unfit - plan to start going to the gym as soon as I stop hurting from sat
smirk.gif
)

jayvee

Visit site
I do it sometimes when hunting, no reason just for the odd change I guess. I do it when trotting for long periods out hunting, usually when had enough of rising - up-down -up-down.. just settle to Hovering eventually!

jemima

Visit site
It can help relieve tension through the hip and knee and dramatically improve the "look" of a rider stiff in these areas who would otherwise slap the saddle.

It also relieves pressure on the horse's back - we were advised to use it on the long canters between obstacles on cross country courses as well as round larger showjumping tracks. It allows the horse to move more freely forward under the saddle.

KatB

Visit site
My trainer did it to bring the horses rhythm back, you can dictate pace in the same way you can trot. It brings them back on their bum without fighting with them, if they are that way inclined. He used to sit in forward position between fences, rise to the canter about 7 strides off, sit the last three and jump. Always looked effortless, and he NEVER missed!
smirk.gif

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My trainer did it to bring the horses rhythm back, you can dictate pace in the same way you can trot. It brings them back on their bum without fighting with them, if they are that way inclined. He used to sit in forward position between fences, rise to the canter about 7 strides off, sit the last three and jump. Always looked effortless, and he NEVER missed!
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW that sounds fancy - I can do it, but not with that type of precision.

Yes, there is a rythem to cantering much like trot that you can go up and down with.

voltaire

Visit site
I thought it was a polo thing. Keep meaning to get one of my instructors to teach me it, but then get distratced by the fact I need to work on all the usual stuff before I start to do things like that.

GTs

Visit site
I think it is most commonly seen in polo, just because we have more opportunity to use it. It is very easy to do, you just have to feel the rythem.

Tia

Visit site
Yes I used to always do it when riding long XC courses or hunt rides. It's far kinder on the horse and the rider when riding hard or for a long time - also helps to regulate the pace.

KatB

Visit site
Well it always looked absolutely effortless! Obviously it varied slightly, but he always knew exactly where he was going with it! Some people...
smirk.gif
laugh.gif

samp

Visit site
I do it if I need the horse to come rounder more beofre a fence and to use its back end, I then tend to sit 2 strides before the fence