Rising trot

HorseMad91

Visit site
Hiya
I'm looking for some exercises to help teach my 5year old rising trot, it's been 20years since I learnt to ride so can't remember how I learnt lol. She can go up and down in walk but as soon as she trots she can't seem to push herself up, she has a balance handle clipped onto her saddle that she holds.
Any ideas

lindsay1993

Visit site
My daughter struggles too. I think it's because her pony, a tiny welsh A, has a very quick, bouncy little stride! She tries, but just can't do it in time with the pony and just ends up bouncing about. I'm sending her for lessons this summer at our local riding school on different types of pony to see if that helps.

HorseMad91

Visit site
She did have a Welsh A with quite a short stride that she struggled with but she's now got her 12.2 Welsh B back and he's got a lovely long stride but she still can't seem to get the hang of it

be positive

Visit site
She is probably trying too hard, let her sit and get used to bouncing while she counts out loud 1 2 1 2 in time with the trot, you can help her get the correct speed for counting if she needs help, then ask her to go up on 1 and down on 2, if she is thinking more about counting than going up down it usually means they stop trying to force the rise and get more in time so it becomes easier, it is also less of a muddle than saying up down can be for little ones.
This has worked with all the children I have taught apart from one who had absolutely no sense of rhythm in her counting, she took a bit longer but got there in the end.

HorseMad91

Visit site
I'll have to give it a try thanks :) I thought she'd feel the bounce and it would help her raise but she's got quite a good seat bless her and doesn't bounce in trot she can just sit there

Roxylola

Visit site
Try and work on helping her get control of the rise and sit by working on standing up without reins in walk as well.

Also thinking of it as a down up not an up down- so the sit is controlled and she has to get straight back up as soon as she sits.

Makemineacob

Visit site
As all above - very good advice. My friend had difficulties teaching her wee one rising trot, she ended up swopping her saddle (a cub saddle) and instantly she found it easier to rise (not sure exactly why). Could the saddle also be hindering her posting?

HorseMad91

Visit site
Thanks I've never thought of it as down then up always up then down.
She rides in a thorogood saddle as she didn't like having a cub saddle either, I'm not sure if getting some little knee blocks for her saddle would help aswell

Makemineacob

Visit site
Obviously haven't seen the saddle so just going off your post, you would have to check knee blocks didn't change her position overly and tempt her to grip with her knees etc, especially with only having little legs. I have once ridden in an old maxim saddle (trying a horse) that the owner had lost the removable knee blocks and it felt very strange rising and made it feel less secure (I do have very long legs though). Perhaps you could see if you could borrow some to try.

HorseMad91

Visit site
Yeah her saddle was second hand and they had lost the removable knee blocks aswell so I just left the saddle without them. I'm the same as you have long legs and feel strange if I don't have knee blocks on my saddle, I might have to see if the removable ones of my saddle fits hers just to try

BeingKate

Visit site
When I teach anyone to ride from scratch, grown up or adults, I teach them to rise to the trot whilst leaning their hands on the withers for support - Not pulling back on a strap, pommel of the saddle, or reins.

The reason why, is if a rider learns to rise whilst leaning back on something for support, this will teach them in turn to support their weight with the reins. Also it means the rider won't be behind the movement landing hard on the horses back. The withers also will give the rider much more support.

With a small child whilst running alongside pony I would of course hold their lower leg in place so they didn't just tip forward, an adult would be more secure and balanced in the lower leg.

Yes they'll be leaning forwards more than normal, but if the rider is looking up and ahead this will allow them to remain in balance and not tip onto the shoulder.

Of course eventually the rider learns to sit up taller once they have the hang of the rhythm and rising - I've never had a rider yet where this has failed, and all of my clients ride with soft hands - no leaning - something I am very particular about!

Hope that helps :)

HorseMad91

Visit site
Thank you I really appreciate everyone's suggestions I'll give that a try aswell see if that helps her, she's coming on so well with her circles and changing the rein just need to master raising trot :)

Zipzop

Visit site
We often have this problem at the riding school with the young kids, it is less actually to do with the rhythm and more to do with what they can manage physically. ( unless at five they have spent most of their life riding and have built up riding fitness) Their little bodies just can't keep up with the swing of the horse during the trot as they are not strong enough to maintain it. Just stick to a few strides rather than going for longer and trying to get her to struggle on with the rising and sitting.

Theocat

Visit site
How's she trying to rise? If she's trying to "stand up" she's possibly sticking her bum back and tipping her shoulders forward, and straightening her legs. Can you get her to try by moving her hips forward instead? She could do "dancing" while she's off the horse, then "dancing" in trot. If she's rising with hips in a forward movement the horse's action will help her; if she's trying to stand up the action will work against her.

Limbo1

Visit site
Been following with interest as trying to teach my 6 year old son at the moment. He has the added issue of boys `bits' which he tells me get in the way? and Hurt? Not having them myself not sure about this.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think you need to teach them to go forward and down rather than up and down, otherwise children try to go too high and get behind the movement. It generally just comes one day, can take a while (let's face it, doing it on these fast ponies must be difficult). As for boys and bits, stepson never complained (apart from bad landings on pommel jumping!) but other boys have. Perhaps try a different saddle for size?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Check the stirrups are the right length. Too many children have stirrups too long so they're reaching for them the whole time and can't rise to the trot. Or else for some reason people crank the childs stirrups up so high they're sitting in a chair seat with their thighs horizontal to the ground, I can't see rising trot being at all easy from that position.

HorseMad91

Visit site
Been following with interest as trying to teach my 6 year old son at the moment. He has the added issue of boys `bits' which he tells me get in the way? and Hurt? Not having them myself not sure about this.

Bless him have you tried a seat saver for him my little girl always moans her bum hurts when she rides and a lovely lady made me a really fluffy seat saver for her saddle and that really helped.

HorseMad91

Visit site
How's she trying to rise? If she's trying to "stand up" she's possibly sticking her bum back and tipping her shoulders forward, and straightening her legs. Can you get her to try by moving her hips forward instead? She could do "dancing" while she's off the horse, then "dancing" in trot. If she's rising with hips in a forward movement the horse's action will help her; if she's trying to stand up the action will work against her.

She does seem to stay straight she's been doing ballet since she was tiny so I think that's helped, I don't know if where she can sit so comfortably to his trot she just doesn't try so much to rise.