Risk of 'ergotism' in horses?

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I have about 10 acres which is topped but we tend to leave the perimeter and corners as the topper doesn't reach this grass. This grass is now very tall and has seed heads. Unfortunately the seed heads are nearly all infected with ergot (a fungus). I read up on it and it is apparently dangerous to horses. Has anyone on here experienced this before and do you have an advice?

Some info:
https://wagwalking.com/horse/condition/ergot-alkaloid-toxicity

My photos:
ergot2.jpgergot1.jpg

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Lots of info on those threads, look out for PurBee's excellent posts.

Long story short. Do not let horses onto areas with infested seed heads currently standing. Chop down and remove (and burn). But also don't freak out too much (there has been a fair amount of freaking out! ?).

I'm not sure I we have reached a conclusion on how soon horses can be grazed after chopping down and removing. I think about a month might be a general guide although I've also seen "not at all this winter" said on Facebook.

We are also not sure how much they would need to consume to create a problem BUT we have a reasonable guess that they could easily do it if allowed to graze standing, infested grass (60 seed heads?) but that worrying about fallen ergots in the grass maybe a little unnecessary.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
We've piled up our cut ergot-infested grass somewhere safe but we are holding off actually burning until next door have harvested their oats as its all still a bit dry and a stray spark... we don't want to be the neighbours that burned the crop down one year... having said that I'm not sure they'll get much for it as it looks quite ergot infested from peering over the fence.

Palindrome

Visit site
There was a big thing about mycotoxins on barefoot fora a few years back, I think some people even fed supplements against it. Not sure if someone could confirm that ergot is/produces mycotoxins?

Ceriann

Visit site
I have mulched my perimeters and corners. Plan is to leave to dry and then suck up with poo hover, pile and burn. Whilst I only found dots of ergot on heads in the permiters and corners, the bales taken off those fields will be burned. I assume there is no risk in horses then grazing those fields?!

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
yeah have to say that was my immediate thought, there have been a lot of fields going up round here lately :confused:

Yeah I plan to be very careful and have a hose / bucket on standby! The grass to be fair is pretty wet at the moment and the fence posts are damp too. I'll only burn the seedheads not the entire grass though. I have cut a couple of perimeters already just need to rake up which will take forever - although I do like Ceriann's idea of using a poo hoover!