Road planings winter turnout problem....anyone have any ideas?

DD

Visit site
Sounds pricey but going to look into it. May ask what type you used?

hi Majic. just some rubber gateway mats from the local agri store (Wynnstay) they are £19.99 each, I use 5 in each gateway. they will move/slide a bit the first winter ideally they are put down in April or May and the grass and weeds grow through the holes and anchor them in place. forgot and only bought some for our other gateway a couple of weeks ago, still its better than the horse sinking in the clay at the gate. they wont move as much , on planings/tarmac. the first lot I bought are now 3 years old and still going strong.

http://www.fieldguard.com/field_path_mats.html

they are the same as the black ones on this link.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We've had a planings turnout area for
5 winters now (photos on my profile in an album) and haven't ever had a problem like this. Could you scatter hay or straw on top? Bit messy but would sti drain and seeds would fall etc. eventually a little grass would grow. I often feed hay loose on the floor of the turnout. I rake it up regularly.

I agree that heat, not rain, settles it if anything.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Can't see the holey mats working on a turnout area tho, poo picking would be a total nightmare!

I have some solid rubber mats in case she wants to stand/lie on them and also feed her on one too.