Road planings winter turnout problem....anyone have any ideas?

Majic

Visit site
Hi All

Has anyone had a problem with road planings (reclaimed road surface) balling up in horse's feet? I've just had an area laid and it was hammered down but my horse as rather roughed it up and several times he's had road planings wedged in his feet. He is shod. Not a problem you might think but its really really difficult to get it out as it is slightly sticky and becomes solid as he walks round and presses it further into his feet.

So, has anyone experienced this at all and has anyone a suggestion of what to do about it. I read somewhere that if sand is tipped on road planings the sand works is way down through the road planings and stops it draining. It currently drains really well. I'm worried I'll just have soaking wet sand for them to stand on which might cause other problems.

I currently cannot use the area, have no turnout as on clay and am dreading the coming winter! :-( Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

madlady

Visit site
Did you leave the surface to stand after it had been rolled?

I've seen people use the hammer plate on them but then it just turns it back into smooth tarmac so not ideal for turn out. If you have it rolled and then leave it for a couple of weeks it does settle and go semi solid and all the little bits go to the bottom.

I've never heard of putting sand on.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I agree with Tiddlypom - we did our gateways last year with road planning and actually just bashed it all down driving over it with the tractor. It settled once it had rained and is absolutely fine. The odd stone comes up nowadays but its very def. firm on the ground!!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
When we had our road laid, the guy who did it explained that in order to pack it down it needs to be wet (rained on). If you pack it when dry it just moves around like marbles and doesn't settle.

Majic

Visit site
Many thanks for replies. So general concensus is that it being rained on and driven over might fix it. Or have it re hammered down, preferably in the wet! Well, that's doable at least with the wet weather coming up and it being flat like a road wouldn't be a problem. Better than loose and sticky.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have this exact sort of area and keep my horse on it 24/7 all year round. She's not shod.

Some of it compacted well, some of it doesn't. I would say tho with use, it becomes less sticky and I would think in the longer term he will be ok even shod. It's never been a problem for my horse tho.

Majic

Visit site
We put sand on ours and it made a mess-wouldn't put sand on unless you put a membrane down maybe to keep the layers separate.

That's really useful info. Thanks. What exactly happened when you say it made a mess? Did it effect drainage, big stuff come to top anyway? I had wondered about a membrane but cost and whether new, unseen problems would arise worried me.

Majic

Visit site
I have this exact sort of area and keep my horse on it 24/7 all year round. She's not shod.

Some of it compacted well, some of it doesn't. I would say tho with use, it becomes less sticky and I would think in the longer term he will be ok even shod. It's never been a problem for my horse tho.

That's good news....and in researching before laying that's what I found e.g,many folks successfully using it as a surface for turnout! Maybe it will 'dry out' through a few seasons? Thanks for your reply.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
That's good news....and in researching before laying that's what I found e.g,many folks successfully using it as a surface for turnout! Maybe it will 'dry out' through a few seasons? Thanks for your reply.

I would say it's heat not rain that makes it stick together because of the tar in it.

This is when it was laid in Feb:

5B94BA55-910A-49C7-9324-0006FE4DE848_zps98jqpghs.jpg

And this is it by June (only had one horse on it the other one was just visiting it lol). You can see it's cleaned up with rain fall (her legs were grey and minging for months with the oily stuff on it but not as bad now) and has hay and dung mixed through it now (impossible to avoid!) and it's nothing like as sticky:

7D8461BB-3C1A-42E3-8731-0662A79ADDE8_zpsxczn78xn.jpg

Polos Mum

Visit site
I haven't tried it but for our drive patch up a few farmers have recommended diesel over planning's to make them bind together again

When we used them in front of our old stables - they settled really well where driven over the most - at the edges always a bit crumbly

Majic

Visit site
B
I would say it's heat not rain that makes it stick together because of the tar in it.

This is when it was laid in Feb:

5B94BA55-910A-49C7-9324-0006FE4DE848_zps98jqpghs.jpg

And this is it by June (only had one horse on it the other one was just visiting it lol). You can see it's cleaned up with rain fall (her legs were grey and minging for months with the oily stuff on it but not as bad now) and has hay and dung mixed through it now (impossible to avoid!) and it's nothing like as sticky:

7D8461BB-3C1A-42E3-8731-0662A79ADDE8_zpsxczn78xn.jpg

Thanks for photos.....horses look happy and glad to hear stickiness reduces! Fingers crossed it will happen to mine. I will encourage grass and organic stuff too reclaim the area.

Majic

Visit site
I haven't tried it but for our drive patch up a few farmers have recommended diesel over planning's to make them bind together again

When we used them in front of our old stables - they settled really well where driven over the most - at the edges always a bit crumbly

I have heard of the diesel idea but worried about pollution on that one!

DD

Visit site
we had this problem about 3 years ago. In the end I bought rubber field mats and placed them on top of the scalpings/tarmac. problem solved.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
By mess I mean it affected drianage yes, and the whole area stopped being dry and became a wettish mess and thetar leaks out and sticks to the ponies coats. Still better than mud but the sand was a disaster.