Road safety for horses and riders? Commons Debate.

Elsbells

Visit site
Commons debate this afternoon at 4.30pm and they'll be debating this very subject I believe. If anyone fancies watching it it will be live.

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Did the debate happen only I taped the commons live from 1130 to 1900 and could find nothing ????????

Cocorules

Visit site
I am not clever enough to post a link on my phone but if you search online for hansard horses road safety it should come up.

jumping.jack_flash

Visit site
Thank you for attaching. This was really interesting in reading. I hope the police are also made more aware of 'safety on the road' for horse riders.

Myself and a friend were riding (in walk) up a tight lane - going slightly up hill, and a massive 4 X 4 came really fast and missed 2 lay bys and stopped. We could not turn around and move out of the way, as this point two cars were behind us.. followed by a scaffolding lorry. The 4X 4 driver refused to reverse, it was a 'stand off' with two young horses and no where to turn.

.. will cut a long story short... we did squeeze our horses past.. with the 4X 4 driver shouting 'that's what we should of done'... but it was a case of no option as the road was getting blocked up, and was risky to squeeze as we could not climb the steep banks to get out of the way, and the traffic was building up behind.

Upon reporting this to the police (as we had photographic evidence - quickly snapped on phone while in the 'stand off'. the police said the 4X 4 driver had every right to just stop. He did not abandon his vehicle, so nothing they could do.

So anything to support all users of the road in country lanes would be helpful! especially reducing the speed limit on country lanes.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Thank you for attaching. This was really interesting in reading. I hope the police are also made more aware of 'safety on the road' for horse riders.

Myself and a friend were riding (in walk) up a tight lane - going slightly up hill, and a massive 4 X 4 came really fast and missed 2 lay bys and stopped. We could not turn around and move out of the way, as this point two cars were behind us.. followed by a scaffolding lorry. The 4X 4 driver refused to reverse, it was a 'stand off' with two young horses and no where to turn.

.. will cut a long story short... we did squeeze our horses past.. with the 4X 4 driver shouting 'that's what we should of done'... but it was a case of no option as the road was getting blocked up, and was risky to squeeze as we could not climb the steep banks to get out of the way, and the traffic was building up behind.

Upon reporting this to the police (as we had photographic evidence - quickly snapped on phone while in the 'stand off'. the police said the 4X 4 driver had every right to just stop. He did not abandon his vehicle, so nothing they could do.

So anything to support all users of the road in country lanes would be helpful! especially reducing the speed limit on country lanes.

How did the cars get past the 4x4?