Road studs - won't it be like wearing heels?

Hornby

Visit site
I am new to studs - hence dim question please.
blush.gif
I have a long distance ride coming up (mostly road work) and don't want to slip but won't road studs like this
http://www.equestrianclearance.com/weatherbeeta/jumping_general_studs/index.html#placeholder (just one on outside of each hind foot) make him tip his foot at an odd angle? Are they really for roads or more hard ground like clay? Thanks

K27

Visit site
everyone has different ideas on these I think but I've always steered clear of road studs- you're right- 1 in each hind can put strain on the joints- Can you ask your farrier to put tungsten road nails in instead? even if it is just for the ride-, 2 in each foot so that the joints and feet are evenly loaded so minimising any strain-

If you decide on the road studs may be you could try 2 all around so that the foot is balanced.

Gd luck though!

LizzieJ

Visit site
I would get some tungsten tipped nails put in if I were you. Not really a fan of road studs like that especially if there's only one in each foot.

Angelbones

Visit site
Don't know the technical details etc, but when my farrier puts in 'road studs' they are like little metal buds on the shoe, hardly raised at all, and I can't think they'd cause any imbalance in the horse. Ask the farrier, I'm sure he'll advice..

parsley

Visit site
The farrier who shoes my horse has made studs out of road nails before - he makes two holes at the heels, puts a nail in it and melts the nail into the shoe with the head of the nail just showing - they are great and really not big, but bigger than when the nail is used to keep the shoe on.