Road Work and Trotting.

loopeepee

Visit site
So, opinions please?
Do you trot on roads, and if so for how long?
Frankie is on fittenting work at the moment, and therefore road work has come into play.
I try to get out on the roads twice, possibly three times a week. For example today, he was on the walker for an hour (at a fairly slow pace as there was an accident on it the other day), and whereas he would usually go in for hay etc before being ridden at lunchtime, I rode straight away.

So we walked the main stretch on road, then turned onto the country road, and walked a bit longer. Then trotted up the hill (not a huge incline, but its still a hill!), before walking down it, then trotting again. All in all we were out for about 50mins - 1hr, and about 25 - 30 mins was trotting.

Now, today was the most I have trotted for on roads, in a long time - but I am just curious as to how much trotting people do actually do on the roads, if any! I do worry about jarring their legs, however, then try and think about jumping in the summer on hard ground/trotting on the roads out hunting. .
confused.gif

Curious as to what people think . . .

KatB

Visit site
It does have its place, but I avoid it as much as possible, as IMO road walking is enough to harden their legs up, and trotting on the road is too jarring, but will do it for short periods, and not on too regular a basis. If you do trot on roads, keeping it steady and balanced puts less strain on legs than letting it get quicker, and therefore putting more strain front legs. Hope this makes sense!?

loopeepee

Visit site
No, makes perfect sense!
I tend to trot for about 5 mins, the walk for a bit, trot again for 5. . . etc etc. And def at steady pace, rather than full pelt.
smile.gif

seza

Visit site
Only when I have to. Post mortems on horses that have trotted loads on roads shows damage and bone degeneration according to my vet.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I trot on the roads alot, most of my fitness work in winters is roadwork, hills and field. Sometimes I trot on the road for quite long periods of time.

crackerjack

Visit site
I trot on roads quite a lot, the yard i am at, at the moment only has road hacking so if i don't trot on the roads it's an all walk hack!

Chex

Visit site
I rarely trot on roads, only if a big lorry is coming and I'm trying to out the way or something. I would never trot full pelt though.

Frazer

Visit site
Agree with Rosie, all my fitness training for the indoor sj season is done on the roads and hills! And for long periods of time! But does have speical boots on for this.. and she seems fine!

timeandchance

Visit site
I try to avoid it as much as possible...but we do have one trot ont he roads most of the time (up the hill on the way home....it's just what's done on that hill!)......although did a lot more trotting today coz of stupid tractor drivers!

kerrylou123

Visit site
i try to avoid it too, as bobby is a bit clumsey in anything other than walk out hacking, and Millie.... well she just think its a race! Will trot if i have to, or need to make up time, or warm myself up a bit

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Agree with RosiiePosiieHunter, Where I learnt to ride we always trotted on roads and their horses lived to ripe old ages with no obvious damage. Our own horses have never in over twenty years appeared to have suffered any damage from trotting on the roads. We don't jump much and not in competition, which I think probably puts more strain on legs.

Parkranger

Visit site
I don't trot on the roads at all now as boy is unshod - when he was it would only be for short bursts....def think it buggers them up to trot too much on the road....

KateStartin

Visit site
I trot on roads but how much depends on conformation of horse. Upright types less so as more prone to jarring. TBH find it difficult to keep horses fit without trotting on roads esp in the winter. We have some quite long hills on roads and always trot up those, never trot downhill on road though.

Have seen a lot of hunters with concussion injuries when they get to about 15 and have done a lot of road work though so try to be careful.

debbielinder

Visit site
i have to trot on the roads theres been horses at our yard for 50 yrs and roadwork always been a big part of there work it has never seemed to do any of them any harm. i always tend to stay in a nice rhythem and make sure my horse has had a good walk and a stretch before we go into trot and i just trot for as long as i feel i need to i can trot for upto 20-30 mins alltogther in a whole ride one day another day do 5 mins if my horse has had a hard day schooling the day before. i think hacking on the roads keeps horses interested. like this morning went on a hack with my auntie and her youngster is sooooo nosey just walking along and we go past the local swimming baths and he takes himself in for a look! (he was on a long rein) an iif we go past a bus stop were theres people he always wants to stop and have a chat!

jayvee

Visit site
I have trotted my mare who is rising 19 for years on the road and even now still roaring to go without a wince of pain or stiffness.
I see it as a vital importance to fittening up the tendons and hardening, even down slight down hills (helps teach em balance too).
Reason I do this so come hunting she is pretty much capable of cantering on the roads.
I must stress I do not canter on roads for the hell of it during fittening, it's only when hunting and when I feel I need to. As trotting balistically is far more damaging than a steady canter.
So, I see no harm in trotting on roads whatever the dicipline. I do a good mile of trotting in ex. Have had hunters remain sound year in year out.
But saying all that, depends on your horse being a hardy sort or soft sort.

pottamus

Visit site
Well I do endurance and all my hacking is on roads unless I box somewhere. In order to be fit enough to do the events I have to put in a lot of trotting fittening work, trotting for long periods and building it up. So I trot on the roads all the time and will trot all the way on 1 or 2 hour hacks with the only exception being downhills.
I figure that I spent a long time when I originally got my horse steadyly increasing his work from walk upwards, he has excellant confirmation and is well bred and has good strong solid legs, being a Welshie, so I take my chance where leg problems are concerned...at the end of the day you keep a steady rythm with a good leg confirmation and you should be ok...in my opinion.

Skhosu

Visit site
We have no off road hacking, therefore we trot up all the hills (its all uphill and downhill..I think there is one flat bit on our hacks, and that's all of them put together!

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I always trot on the road especially up hills, im v lucky as there are loads of hills around wher ei am! its great for fitness and none of my horses have ever had soundness problems due to jarring or tendon injuries (only had one ever lame due to foot infection) and no one i know who does a lot of trotting and road work has ever had soundness problems either

sunny123

Visit site
You have made me feel so much better. I have always trotted on the roads to get mine fit as i have to go on the roads whenever i hack and to get to the school. I mainly only go uphill but sometimes i trot steadily down aswell. At the moment i am so pushed for time before it gets dark after school i am doing alot more trotting on roads and i was beggining to feel abit guilty, so thank you!

Parkranger

Visit site
Trotting down hill is a good thing for building confidence - but I only do it off road.....my boy used to pick his way down hills - now he quite happily trots down them....something they have to get used to if they want to do Xc!

Skhosu

Visit site
Yes, off roads I trot down gentle slopes, the occasional steeper one to prepare for xc, but I would never do it on roads.

rcm_73

Visit site
When I worked fittening pointers we would do a minimum of five miles a day and most would be done at a trot. The first and last 20 mins would be at a walk. However with my own TB I mostly walk as 1) I worry about jarring her legs if I trotted as much as those pointers did! but mainly 2) because she only seems to understand trot flat out & leans & leans on my hands so any trotting has to be kept short, v.short as I'm trying to teach her to slow up through transitions.