Robin Hood Film horses

cptrayes

Visit site
I've just seen Robin Hood (good film!) and I checked to see where it was filmed because the vast majority of the horses in it seemed to be either dishing Iberians or Friesians. Certainly all with legs much thinner than they would actually have been riding in around 1200, before TB's were "invented". To my surprise it was filmed in England and Wales. Has anyone got any idea why they filmed with European horses instead of British ones??????

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
They always use Iberians and Fresians in this sort of film, there are two reasons, the first being that they are supremely photogenic and secondly most of the people who supply film horses use Iberians because they are so trainable.

berry

Visit site
They filmed a lot of it in surrey, they used woods in Tilford (thats where the castle is). The horses were also based in Tilford and Puttenham. They also has little villages in puttenham common and the Hamptons estate, they also used land in Elstead. I only know this as my other half is a delivery driver and had to deliver to all locations.

Minxie

Visit site
I think Steve Dent was the stunt co-ordinator and as he usually does all the horse types stuff I'd have thought he would be lead horse master as well.

Although there were others - eg the grey Crowe was riding will likely be permanently owned by the horse masters but a lot of the others will be bought in for the shoot and sold on or they'll be hired from the other horse masters around the country.

One of the reasons Braveheart went to Ireland was they couldn't get 300 heavy horses in Scotland. Although it was only one of a number of reasons.

In Braveheart Mel Gibson started off riding a big bay that turned out to be a total nightmare. There's a scene where it was rearing on the hillside. Apparently it damn near sat down on him. It wasn't meant to do that :) To make things worse it happened on the day the insurance bloke was there. He was not amused as Gibson was not only the lead actor but director and producer. So they had to 'kill it off' a few scenes later when he gets a nice, suitably showy black horse instead :)

Gucci_b

Visit site
A friend of mine was the main trainer/rider in the film, and many more films... most of which are shot in and around surrey as well as the coast.
nottingham2.jpg

nottingham3.jpg

nottingham4.jpg

nottingham1.jpg

NeilM

Visit site
Different film, but with lots of horses.

Akira Kurosawa's last film Ran was shot on and around Mount Fuji, but all the horses were imported from America!

I don't know why, probably something to do with training.

You don't need to be a Japanese film enthusiasts to appreciate the battle scenes which are amazing. The quick eyed will also spot a few goofs and tumbles, but they do not detract from the atmosphere.

Can anyone tell my why Hollywood keeps portraying famous people from English and Scottish history with Australian actors?

Worse was Kevin Costner playing Robin Hood :mad:

Show biz eh?

junglediva

Visit site
the beach/battle scene was filmed in pembroke near me. they askd alot of the local hunts here to help out but i couldnt go as they only wanted men :( lol. maybe thats the reason you can see TB types as our hunts do have alot of those!

vallin

Visit site
OMG just seen it and it was soooo good! and yummy he was indeed, but wasn't it Russel Crowe? I love the little ponies the kids are on, but the fresians and Robin Hoods grey are simpply beautiful nom nom nom

dad_io

Visit site
the beach/battle scene was filmed in pembroke near me. they askd alot of the local hunts here to help out but i couldnt go as they only wanted men :( lol. maybe thats the reason you can see TB types as our hunts do have alot of those!

Our hunt staff inc terrierman were extras on this!

cptrayes

Visit site
The film is a twelve certificate but I was surprised. It's very violent, people being burnt alive, boiled with tar, shot through the neck with arrows, driven through with pikestaffs, implied rape, almost constant death and destruction from start to finish. Great film though , and Crowe was fantastic, as was Kate Blanchett and that guy whose name I can never remember who plays bald villains and was Septimus in Stardust (not bald!).

diggerbez

Visit site
oooh i'm very excited about seeing this! i;ve heard that its very "gladiator in the forest" but would sort of expect that from ridely scott/ crowe film... i teach medieval history and my students are beggging me to take them to see it... why i would want to sit in the dark with them all is beyond me :rolleyes::p

UnaB

Visit site
Oooh, a film with friesians AND Russell Crowe... Will have to go see this.

I must have been living in my own little world as i didnt know anything at all about the film.

aregona

Visit site
many of my friends were extra's in the film, really well paid. My x-boss took her 4 kWPN horses but had to let her OH ride them, my vet was also there on his TB racing mare and a couple of ponies from my friends riding school.
They did say though that it was very hard work and really long days for the horses (and riders i guess) I wanted to do it but couldn't as i am female!!!!
Quite glad though as i only have my eventers and i know the driving horses (KWPN) have still not quite settled yet after 2 weeks of non stop galloping :)

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
My cousin was a gofor on Robin Hood and also an extra in the fight scenes although I doubt very much I would be able to make him out from all the other extras! I think he put some piccies on his FB page... must go back and have a proper look!

0ldmare

Visit site
A friend of my mums leased her horse to them for the duration of filming. The horse was based in Wales and they took it somewhere down SE england for filming. I believe they wanted to give it back after a few weeks as all the galloping about sent it a bit barmy

Not something I would have done with one of mine, but there you go!

(Called the horse IT as don't know whether it was mare or gelding......)

natalia

Visit site
We got asked to provide horses for this but sadly couldn't as our lot had other commitments. However, excitingly I had a call a couple of days ago scouting out horses for he new Speilburg production of War Horse which starts filming in August, so hopefully some of our lot will be in that. And yes, sadly, all they ever want is male extras to ride, which is quite annoying! Friend of mine is doing War Horse and was also involved in Robin Hood for 6 months, he said they ended up using a lot of polo ponies as extras for the battle scenes as they were fine with swords waving round.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Yes I agree what a great thread. I thought the horses were wonderful (and i loved the film, Mr Crowe was lovely but NOTHING beats Mr Costner!!)

I wish I could be an extra! The horses were so well behaved and non spooky and i guess just super well trained!

One thing though, I couldn't help but think how hard the horses must of worked, going on those ships and going into battle and just everything really!

xx

Andalusianlover

Visit site
They always use Iberians and Fresians in this sort of film, there are two reasons, the first being that they are supremely photogenic and secondly most of the people who supply film horses use Iberians because they are so trainable.

Trainable and incredibly photogenic............ I so agree with you!

For the originator of this post, not all Iberians "dish". I have one that doesnt!!!