Robins vet visit

doodle

Visit site
Well it’s not the best. Vet was expecting mild arthritis in the top hock joint to account for the swelling. However when he xrayed the hocks he found the bottom joint in both hocks is very bad. He showed me the xrays and I didn’t need him to explain them to me. Neither of us were expecting that level of changes. It’s bad. Right worse than left but really quite nasty.

I said that amount of change hasn’t just happened. He agreed and thought he would have been feeling it all summer. He trotted up sound 2 months ago. I asked how much pain he would have been in and vet feels he would have been in constant grumbling pain.

I feel so emotional at this as it shows quite how kind and generous Robin is. It took until now with that amount of change for him to complain. We had a lovely summer hacking out, cantering up hills and generally having fun.

Vet felt we need to deal with that joint first and then come back and investigate the top joint. He is relatively confident however he will come back hacking. He has had steroid injections in both hocks. Box rest till Friday. Then turn out for a week then get on him and hack very quietly for a week until vet comes back to reassess. Then probably back to vets to inject top joint.

So I was expecting hock spavins. I just (neither of us) didn’t expect the amount of damage.

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh no, I'm so sorry it wasn't the news you were hoping for. At least Robin has had the injections today, and there is a good plan of action in place.

Sending massive hugs to you and Robin. X

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm sorry you didn't get better news but at least you pushed for an answer and now you can manage him. Depending on how you get on with the steroids I can also highly recommend the gel injections - really helped my mare.
This.

I’m sorry that the news isn’t better, but if gel injections are an option for Robin I’d recommend them - they are more expensive than steroids but longer lasting.

Trouper

Visit site
Well at least you can give him the appropriate treatment now to make him more comfortable. He obviously loves doing things with you and if the vet thinks that you can get back to that level of hacking then you both have a future - maybe not the one that you planned but a future.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Ditto what Midlifecrisis said, when the weather is warmer, and drier, that often have a positive effect on such discomforts. Together with his kind, and generous temperament, I'm guessing that Robin mostly enjoyed himself as much as you did this Summer.

It's crap that you found what you found, but at least there is treatments to try.
{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}

Annagain

Visit site
I'm sorry about Robin but you absolutely do not need - nor should you try - to lose a stone in 10 days. I don't know you in real life so have no idea if you need to lose weight but if you do, you need to do it sensibly. We all know how much you want the best for Robin but please take care of yourself as well as him.

doodle

Visit site
Thank you everyone. He is not at all impressed at being in today. I had to stand touching him (preferably scratching all his itches!) for any sort of sense. He has his 2 buddies beside him and had settled a bit when we left. I am not sure if the bandages are itchy or if he is just cross as he has stamped back legs a few times. Bandages can come off tonight.

I am now wondering if I am being selfish by wanting to ride again. Would it be better to just stop now. I guess that is question for the vet.

As for my weight I am very over weight. He can carry me quite happily but loosing weight can only be a help. I have lost 1 stone 3 so far so another stone is good. Just because he can carry it dosnt mean he should.

I just feel flat and sad.

doodle

Visit site
I'm sorry you didn't get better news but at least you pushed for an answer and now you can manage him. Depending on how you get on with the steroids I can also highly recommend the gel injections - really helped my mare.

What are gel injections?

Annagain

Visit site
Well done on the weight loss so far. I've recently lost 3 - one more to go so know where you're coming from. Rushing it won't do anyone any good though. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck with both Robin and the weight loss.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Sending healing vibes from little Robin to big Robin.

Please take the weight loss slowly. If you rush your likely to put it back on quickly (in my case plus some more).

Keep a note of all your questions for when the vet visits next. I tend to forget things when it comes to talking face to face.

Hopefully Robin will be more settled when your back up there later.

doodle

Visit site
He is ever so good at throwing tantrums! Will be able to tell if actually upset by the state of his bed.

I have just spoken to crisis team, she can’t wait for home visits to restart so she can come and visit him ?