Rockhampton EC??

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Has anyone been to the above EC?

If you have do you have any piccies or a description of the place?

Ive never been but am looking for somewhere friendly and low key for my youngsters first shows.
Ive heard a not so flattering report of here but wondered what the majority vote was?

Thanks in advance!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I grew up round the corner, so have many fond memories of competing ponies there. Not the biggest arena and not the tidiest/smartest place but the courses are very nicely built and make the best of the space. The warm up isn't fantastic but is workable. Always very friendly and very helpful there. I would use the place as a nice environment for a first show, so long as they aren't the sort to struggle in a smaller space.

Kal

Visit site
It is low key and friendly but i wouldn't go with a skitty youngster. If it is a sensible one then it might be ok. The main problem is the warm up. It is a barn without any sides and telegragh poles down the middle of it, you can only warm up on one rein and i have seen people go head first into the poles.

The main indoor is small but horses do seem to jump ok there. I wouldn't stand too long in the collecting ring or sit on the seats (reaks of cat pee :rolleyes:) and not much parking.

Sorry i don't have any photos or vids as it's been years since i've been and only have a vhs vid :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
You need to dodge the telegraph poles in the warmup! It is very friendly - the indoor is quite dark so some object to going in. Do not go there if you struggle in small spaces.

On balance, I think I'd rather go to Summerhouse or Badgworth for a low key first outing.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I love Summerhouse! It's really well run and they are pretty accommodating. The surface on the outdoor is lovely, and whilst the ponies tied along the side of the indoor warmup can be, ahem, exhilarating, it's actually a really good place to go. I took the little dun pony there for his first SJ show - warmup was a bit exciting for him but aside from that it was fine.

Why are you scared of it? I now stable in hacking distance from Hand and box up to Summerhouse in preference to Hand. If you go for mid-week BSJA they run clear round first then BN and it's really quiet usually.

lcharles

Visit site
I dont like rockhampton at all!! x its small, dark and dingy! x to get into the indoor you could potentially lose your head if your on a big horse!! x i took my ponies there and they were fine but i live up the road and i wouldnt take my 17hh youngster there as i would be risking my life with the telegraph poles in the outdoor, awful entrance into the indoor and small arena! x

Summerhouse is lovely, i used to be a livery there which wasnt so good but for competitions its really good and the warm up is a good size. Only problem is, find is in classes up to 2ft 9 you get wizzy ponies cutting you up in the warm up but this happens anywhere! x classes are usually quite big until you get to the 3ft upwards where they are usually a bit quieter! x

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Stockland Lovell and Pontispool run really good unaff sjing days if you have a look. All nice and low key unless you are looking for BS?

SLM can be hired for an hour at about £15 which is really good value. I think Hand is £20 an hour to hire per horse.

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
I dont know really!
I (and another person) cant put our fingers on why we dont 'like' it as such.

I will jump my older 2 there without a problem but i feel 'awkward' as such at the thought of taking a baby ( or 3 in my case - multiple chances to make a div if myself!)

The Hand i think is too big an occasion i think and Hartpury will blow one of their minds having the gallery above him.
I might be ok at Rockhampton as 2 of mine are only 15.2.

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Stockland Lovell and Pontispool run really good unaff sjing days if you have a look. All nice and low key unless you are looking for BS?

SLM can be hired for an hour at about £15 which is really good value. I think Hand is £20 an hour to hire per horse.

Hi, no not just BS - just the aim to get them out and about a bit then progress onto BN etc

siennamum

Visit site
I took my youngster there for 1st outings and he really never settled or liked it. Any other horses I've had have been fine. You can't warm up round the jumps in the ring, so have to rather go to the end and just start jumping. Mine didn't!! I had a few decent rounds but he was still spooked by the place after a couple of visits.
I am going to hire Summerhouse hopefully with a friend and just go for schooling round the course, it's expensive £45 for the hour, but I figure for x3 of us that's the same as a round each at a show.

I struggle to find nice unaff, that's not in the evening tbh.

Have you thought about West Wilts, that's supposed to be great for youngsters.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Let me know when you are going to Summerhouse if you fancy splitting it another way SM.

I usually go to Stockland Lovell, who are pretty cheap for an hours hire, but you do have to build the course yourself!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Vicki - how about Cricklands? They do loads of stuff, it's really easy to get to from the motorway, and lorries go over the Severn Bridge for the price of a car if you have living. The arena hire is also brilliant value and much cheaper than anywhere else - you normally get two different courses to jump apparently.

marmalade76

Visit site
Why not try Home Farm? Their warm up area is good and the indoor big and light. They do clear round evenings, evening and weekend comps and you can hire it too. All the times I've competed there (admittedly not often and not recently) it's not been busy at all. You will get a few kids though.

http://www.homefarmequestriancentre.co.uk/gallery/index.html

http://www.homefarmequestriancentre.co.uk/whats_on/calendar.html

ETA have also been to Rockhampton and wouldn't go out of my way to go there again, would for Summerhouse though.

Last edited: