Romeo is grieving, what to do?

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Im not quite sure what to do..........to those who didnt know I lost the most beautiful boy in my life on Thursday afternoon, after a battle with laminitis, I had to have Charlie (my coloured) PTS. I am utterly devasted, I adored him but my other horse is grieving as well. I have opened the gates to the field from the stable yard to let Romeo do as he pleases but he has chosen to spend all day stood next to (and most of the time with his head in) Charlies stable. What to do? should I turf him out or let him do that as its obviously his way of dealing with it.

Romeo saw Charlie die (injection) and was allowed to come over and smell him, so he knows he isnt coming back.

joeanne

Visit site
When we had Skip PTS his long term friend (20 odd years together) was allowed to come and see him after he was gone.
She still spent weeks walking the fenceline looking for him, and would call constantly for the first 48 hours. It was as though she had forgotten he was gone, and maybe he was just out for a walkabout.
She then buddied up with another mare and they are now pretty much inseperable. Is there nobody that he could be buddied up with?
If not you will just have to let his grief run its course. Perhaps he can still smell Charlie in the stable, which is why he has his head in there. Might be giving him the belief that as he can smell him, he must be close by?

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
so sorry about skip :-(

He has the mins and that is obviously stopping him from throwing paddies for being left on his own but they are 28" and he is 17.2hh so it cant be the same as having a likesize companion to look out for each other.

I have been sitting in bed writing this and have noticed him wonder out to the field twice this morning and then less than 2-3 minutes later he comes cantering back in to Charlies stable

joeanne

Visit site
Perhaps you could find a companion for Romeo then?
Mini's are no good when you are 17.2hh and have an itch on your withers you just cant reach! Handy for itchy knees but not much else!

Janesomerset

Visit site
So sorry for your loss of your beautiful boy. When I lost my horse, I thought it would be disloyal to get another one but after a while I thought getting another one doesn't mean you love the previous one any less; nothing changes that. XX

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Neroli is a great essential oil for loss. You can get it pre-blended at Holland and Barratt, possibly Boots, and just put some drops on your hand and let him sniff it.He may even lick it. It does really help.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
So sorry to read about Charlie - he was a handsome boy.
I don't think there is anything you can do for your grieving horse - aside from wait.
Although another companion may help in the long term, grief is specific to an individual relationship, which can't be rebuilt with a replacement.
Sorry, I wish I had a better suggestion.
S :(

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
when my old horse died, my pony came out in a rash all over, I wasnt ready for another horse but loaned a companion pony for her for a little while that seemed to work ok and take her mind of it

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So sorry to read about Charlie - he was a handsome boy.
I don't think there is anything you can do for your grieving horse - aside from wait.
Although another companion may help in the long term, grief is specific to an individual relationship, which can't be rebuilt with a replacement.
Sorry, I wish I had a better suggestion.
S :(

I do agree but also think that although another companion wont replace Charlie (either for Romeo or you) it would give Romeo something else to think about. It might also help you to move on. Over the years we have lost several horses, some to old age and by pre-arrangement, others prematurely to illness. It is always difficult both for the owners and the other horses but of course you do all have to deal with it somehow or other.

So sorry about your loss- laminitis is horrendous.