Roo first ever sort-of competition and ridden rossete

Kallibear

Visit site
So pleased with the big orange idiot yesterday.

He's nearly 4 and just started a bit of light work to keep his brain occupied. He was sat on and walked about in the autumn and has started some hacking in the new year and hacked a couple of times a week. We've just started getting lessons and have so far racked up three 20min lessons to add to his enormous total of 3 other times in a school (no school or even grass paddock at home :( )

Therefore we are TOTALLY ready to go dressaging and did so this weekend . Ok, so he can barely trot round the school without falling over his own overly long legs but I figured a nice trip out to a quiet local venue would do him the world of good.

A very excited pony just arrived in the warm up.

1901406_10153871711290437_102909489_n.jpg

1959302_10153871713630437_1415168146_n.jpg

And this is the result

[video=youtube_share;-zpwxl6LaOk]http://youtu.be/-zpwxl6LaOk[/video]

He was awfully good for such a green horse. Warm up was interesting as he couldn't concentrate with all these exciting other strange horses but he walked and trotted like a good boy. He was DESPERATE to get inside the magically forbidden indoor school where these strange horses kept entering and exiting and was so excited when it was finally his turn.

I expected him to be spooky and jumpy but he was very chilled. Not enough to relax and lengthen his neck (he's got a naturally very high head carriage so it's a work in practise) but still obedient. He didn't understand why we had to keep going round and round and kept trying to stop by the back door to see out (could just catch glimpses of the warm up outside with horses going past) He took the long rein as an opportunity to flip his nose about (it's been a big issues we're working on) and thought he should halt again the second time at X (well, that's what we did the first time and he learns so quickly) but no acrobatic airs above the ground or trying to canter (his new favorite activity)

But all in all I'm so pleased with him. He did well for his 7th ever time in a school.

The judge though so too and he earned himself a self-coloured rossete :D I have to say the judging was massively inconsistent and despite me thinking he's ace, he didn't deserve to be placed (they didn't even notice him breaking trot down at A?!) but frillies are always nice :eek:

And as it's his rossete he feels he can do as he wishes with it! Such fun. I forgot to get a photo whilst still at venue so I was trying to get one once he'd be turfed back out at home. Trying being's the right word. He's very trying sometimes.

1911240_10153867518990437_868210162_o.jpg

1913483_10153867506675437_1262794661_o.jpg

1622409_10153867516490437_2081607739_o.jpg

1799920_10153867517110437_801739026_o.jpg

Last edited:

siennamum

Visit site
He is just lovely and what a great attitude. The best thing about this record/video of course is when you compare it to a competition report in a few years, and can really see the difference. I have my gelding's first, terrible dressage outing on tape, it's like looking at a different horse.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Well done - lovely and calm and that's really all you can ask for for a first time out. I think he would rather his rosette was tastier though! As Siennamum says, these early videos and pictures are great for looking back on, especially when you hit a bit of a plateau as we all do sometimes. Just revisiting them makes you realise how far you've come. :)

Kallibear

Visit site
Thank you :D
He's a high energy, excitable horse so getting him out seeing the world asap is essential and why I'm so pleased he was pretty chilled and obedient. He even managed to stand at the box when his friends went of to do their tests.

This is the first of three charity dressage so we've got two more to gain different (and hopefully more tasty) rossetes!
P.s yep, he is indeed a numpty.