ROR in hand showing

Carrottom

Visit site
Hello showing people, I would like some advice on showing my ex racer. There is an in hand class at a local show that I thought would be a good place to start. I was thinking to use a snaffle bridle but do I need a noseband? Is a coloured browband correct? Should I use plain leather reins or would a leather lead up (of the type used in the parade ring at the races with a butterfly buckle that attaches to the bit rings) be more suitable?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If it's a simple snaffle bridle, you def need a noseband, plain reins and either plain or coloured browband.
Only use a coupling chain/leather if using an inhand bridle.
Yes you need to plait too (If you were not already planning to)
Plain browband suits the bigger headed jumper/working hunter types, coloured on the smaller flat/hack types.

If using plain browband then a tidy tweed jacket would match, if coloured browband then a plain navy jacket.
Dark trousers if horse is light colour - like grey, light/beige if horse is bay, chestnut, brown or black.
Also you need a hat (soft - or riding hat if local show), shirt and tie.

Hope you have a good outing :)

Carrottom

Visit site
Thank you very much. Is it ok to go without the jacket if hot? My only tweed is a warm riding jacket. I will wear a riding hat (black velvet) for safety reasons and brown gloves. Horse is a small dark bay. I will plait his mane and pull tail. Does this sound ok?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you very much. Is it ok to go without the jacket if hot? My only tweed is a warm riding jacket. I will wear a riding hat (black velvet) for safety reasons and brown gloves. Horse is a small dark bay. I will plait his mane and pull tail. Does this sound ok?

That sounds fine, I'd go armed with jacket tho, showing tradition is to wear it unless the judge (or secretary if local show) says you can remove it :) just remember to tuck shirt in if not wearing jacket x

Carrottom

Visit site
Thanks guys, will go with jacket, can't think that it will be too hot for too long. I don't have a waistcoat and hope to be under saddle soon.

Visit site
You can use either reins or a lead chain with ridden snaffle bridles (I've won many championships like this at all levels) but no reins with an in-hand bridle. Always have a caveson noseband on. Smile and have fun!

Carrottom

Visit site
Thanks EKW, any tips for how and what to practice for the show? It is a couple of weeks away so i have some time. I have never shown i hand before and I always tend to watch the ridden classes if I'm at a show.

Visit site
In hand showing is an artform! Find your horses walk. Nice and forward with a good stride but not over stretching them. Don't let them dawdle or slop along, keep them active. If you get too close to the horse in front go deep into the corner or hang back for a stride or two so you always have a good walk going when the judge is watching.

Same for trot. Make sure your horse trots out smartly next to you. No dragging or needing chased. Again find your horses trot. Nice and active and forwards but not flat out.

Standing - now this is the tricky one. If your judge is of the older generation then stand them so all the legs can be seen from the side. The far side under the horse. As the judge moves to the other side ask the horse to step forwards a step so again the far side to the judge is underneath.

Younger judges tend to like them 4 square. But you can never go wrong with fronts square and backs slightly off.

When I stand up for the judge I walk up and the last 2 strides I turn and face the horse and step backwards so I can stop them where I want them and am able to see their legs. It also means I am not obstructing the judges side on view of the horse.

Make sure your horse stands without fidgeting whilst someone walks all the way round them. When the judge is looking at the front legs step to the side to allow them a good view - unless your horse has shocking splints or pigeon toes or the like then don't move! Lol!

Always smile and be polite, answer any questions along with a good morning/afternoon.

When you walk away pick a point straight ahead and aim for it. Do not deviate. When you turn to trot back come out to your left slightly so you turn a small circle rather than turn right back on yourself and always turn to the right so the horse is on your inside. Do NOT trot straight off the bend. Walk a couple of strides to make sure your horse is straight then off you go- straight at the judge they will move and keep trotting past and round.

The reason for never trotting off a turn is you can unbalance your horse and make it look slightly lame or off. Same for your initial trot round the ring. Walk 2-3 strides before trotting to make sure your horse is setup properly.

Most importantly have fun!

Carrottom

Visit site
Thanks again. one more numpty question, how far away from the bit should I hold the reins ideally?