ROR Showing- double bridle/ Any ride judges in here?

avthechav

Visit site
I am competing Av at the weekend at RC at ALW. Last year she was placed second :D and ride judge said that she may have been placed first if in a double bridle (however first horse was lush so I personally doubt it!).

She has been placed in a double bridle but never in a snaffle. Double bridle does look pretty and she goes the same in it as in a snaffle- I guess it is slightly easier to get her together in the double but she is not a problem in the snaffle.

...Bl**dy showing!! How do you know what they want!:D

fleabittengrey

Visit site
I have qualified and taken RoRs to the hickstead finals in snaffles, no one has ever said they should have any more bitting in - put your horse in whatever they give the best ride in. There are no "brownie points" for having a horse in a double or equally a horse in a snaffle - but whatever gives the best ride.

From what you describe in your first post if she is in the position of being able to wear a double bridle then use it - I did an RoR at Staffs yesterday in a snaffle becuase the horse is only three months out of training, so would have been stupid to be in anything stronger yet for the sake of appearance!!

avthechav

Visit site
Thanks for all your advice. I'm moving towards snaffle simply so that I dont have to change tack between the riding club horse class and the ror class, and like people have said, its all about how she goes....yet another reason why i will never prosper at showing- im far too lazy!!!!!!!!!!:D

Gamebird

Visit site
If it's a riding club show I wouldn't care either way. If it's an RoR Hickstead qualifier I would say something with two reins if you can. I was in one on Sunday and out of 40 horses only two were in a snaffle. They definitely stuck out. But obviously if your horse goes markedly better in the snaffle then so be it.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If you are presenting your horse as a racehorse turned show horse, then a double/pelham will be preferable as this is what show horses wear and this is the class you are entering.
If you are doing the general classes which are not related to show horses, then wear what you like.

I know some people say why should your horse go in a double rather than a snaffle, but if that is what the class expects, then it would make sense to do it if your horse doesn't care either way! Of course a horse will not be put down because it is in a snaffle, but your initial pull in may not be as good as other horses going equally as well but wearing doubles. Showing is all about how it looks, and if judges expect to see a horse in a double, then you may as well fall in line. Sounds like you won't have any problem with making the change, so you should do very well!!!

And there will always be exception to the rule - but they are exceptions and showing is hard enough without having to fight against the tide!!!

Last edited:

avthechav

Visit site
Brilliant- thanks everyone.

FMM- thanks for sharing, sounds kissy but I always love you posts and am in awe of your beautiful horses (I especially like the piccies of them on their hols, brilliant before and after pics!). That makes sense why in the ROR Ridden classes she has done better in a double- and also why she has been deemed too small by a couple of judges, they were prob judging against more of a show horse standard, (like the beautiful Dumbleton).

I think that I will prob go with the snaffle this time as this is the class brief Horses will be judged on general condition as a
Thoroughbred athlete, adaptability to their new career along with turnout and manners.
...I doubt that we will be very successful but I'm sure that we will have a lovely day and a nice burger! :)

avthechav

Visit site
If it's a riding club show I wouldn't care either way. If it's an RoR Hickstead qualifier I would say something with two reins if you can. I was in one on Sunday and out of 40 horses only two were in a snaffle. They definitely stuck out. But obviously if your horse goes markedly better in the snaffle then so be it.

Gamebird- this is just it. I have now done several of the ROR qualifiers and each time its pretty much been doubles at the top of the line and snaffles at the bottom. If she didnt go well in a double of course I wouldnt even consider it- as I have seen several horses, (particulary in the challenge class) who look like they have never worn a double in their lives and are not enjoying it AT ALL!,

It is RC- but it is the Festival of the Horse Championships, dunno if that makes much of a difference though?- Last year it was certainly more relaxed than the huge classes at the county shows.

How did u get on on Sunday?- who was judging?:)

Gamebird

Visit site
Ian McKie ride-judged, not sure who the confo judge was. I did a report somewhere with some pics (double bridled ;)) if you want a gander.

The horse was foot perfect - even whilst cantering en masse with nearly 40 others (more than could have been said for some ;)) and stood beautifully in line (class took 2hrs :eek:). She went nicely enough for the judge but some went better. Didn't get placed but we're in a very strong racing area and the top 4 or so were stunning and just floated. Got a beautiful rosette just for turning up! :D

I'm not bothered about qualifying - she's for sale and I just wanted to say that she'd done it really. Got another one this Sunday, but not a Hickstead qualifier so should be a bit less hot competition!

avthechav

Visit site
Well done- sounds like a pretty much perfect outing! I will have a look at the post/piccies in a bit, thanks for the advice and good luck at the next one :D

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I agree pretty much with FMM.
I am a bit old school and I like to see horses shown in double bridles. I also find that as my horse/s have/had a slightly 'noble' head, the extra leatherwork in the double just helps to break up or 'hide' the plainess!
Good luck and enjoy