'Roughing Off'

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Ok peeps, haven't posted here in ages, hope you are all well!!

Right, I am needing to take a break from riding for a while (medical reasons) and as I won't be able to do my usual winter yard duties for a month or so, I have decided that Benj can live out until I am back on my feet.
Is there anything I especially need to do to prepare him? He still has his rug off and is now getting a lovely think coat. I intend having his shoes off at the beginning of November. I have been advised to exercise him a couple of times a week just to keep his level of fitness.
Anyone got any advice for me? Never done this sort of thing before....

p x

tigers_eye

Visit site
Only take his shoes off if he is going to be off for more than 2 months, and if he has very bad feet (ie. prone to crumbling/cracking) don't do it at all. It takes time for their feet to toughen up and adjust and they get messy in the interim. Don't over-groom him. It won't hurt him not to be ridden at all, as long as you bring him back into work sensibly when the time comes. Check he has enough to eat and keep an eye on his weight. Other than that he should be fine!

sally2008

Visit site
Hey P
smile.gif
Sorry to hear you're going to be out of action - nothing serious I hope.
frown.gif

I think the plans you've already made are very sound. I'd just add gradually cutting down on any concentrates and swopping him over onto a forage feed regime if he's still going need something whilst you're resting.

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Hey P
smile.gif
Sorry to hear you're going to be out of action - nothing serious I hope.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
No, nothing serious hun, but I will NEED to rest, easier said than done for me though!!!

He doesn't have any concentrates anyway, so that won't be a prob (cob that tied up
crazy.gif
) He has a lovely coat and his feathers are really getting wooly now!!
Planty of grass around but will start with hay as soon as he needs it.
Hows the gorgeous Dec??? S*d it, will email you!
grin.gif

P x

sally2008

Visit site
Then REST you will girl!
mad.gif
grin.gif
I'll look forward to seeing a fluffy unridden Benj then. I'm sure a break won't do either of you any harm.

Dec is fab thankies - REALLY well and being thoroughly enjoyed.
smile.gif

jellybaby

Visit site
Hi
Sorry you are not going to be "right" for a bit.
If it were me, I wopuld leave the shoes on UNLESS its going to be for a long ish time as generally feet get much worse before they benefit from being shoeless if that makes sense.
JB xx

S_N

Visit site
If the farrier has recommend taking his shoes off then go for it. I have nothing else to add to what has already been said...........
wink.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Hope you are ok and nothing serious.

Shoes off, left to get hairy as possible. Brush feather with pig oil and sulphur to prevent mud feaver and keep skin in good condition.

Plenty of hay and from the sort he looks to be, you may not need to rug unless the weather is really bad, especially if you have field shelter or a good hedge.

My two are filthy and hairy and about to have shoes off - you won't believe how big Stinker is now next time we see each other.

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Hey T!!!!
No nothing too serious!
Well, you'll be pleased to hear that his feathers have only been clipped once this year and that was the beginning of the summer. He is getting really wooly now.
Been brushing mud off with a firm bristled brush and just scraping the loose hair off. No feild shelter
frown.gif
so I will probably end up rugging him.

OMG, I bet Stinker is no longer a little stinker!!!!
Must catch up sometime!
P x