Round pens Natural Horsemanship

debonhorse

Visit site
My last question for tonight. (thank god I hear you all groan!!)

I want to build a round pen to help out big time with the natural horsemanship that I am learning.

I have the space but would like some ideas on what materials to use, I would like it to be at least 50ft diameter.

Any Ideas?

Skhosu

Visit site
Are you experienced enough to use it?
Do you really need it?
If so, most I've seen are made of wood, very high and with not much space between the boards.

debonhorse

Visit site
I have a lady who visits me every week who is teaching me the Monty Roberts system.

She has given me a few ideas on different round pens but I wondered if anyone else had any different ideas.

According to Monty Roberts you can use a small paddock, just round the corners off with straw Bales, but I dont fancy that idea much myself.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I tried building one in my arena, however used my show jump poles and barrels with poly jumps multi jump blocks on them.

Tried to do join up - horse looks peed off and then jumps 4ft 6" from a trot without touching the pole.

Didn't get join up, but boy can he jump
grin.gif

Bess

Visit site
Why don't you get this lady to help you design the round pen, or read a couple of Monty Roberts books which describe it.

Skhosu

Visit site
yes. HAve you an arena? I use a 20/ 40 ( I think) arena with a low fence, only with those I know won't jump out when I'm in the mood for it, or to loose school in.

teapot

Visit site
There used to be one at the yard - it was made by using 6ft high electric fencing - obviously not on and it was quite big

GTs

Visit site
Rounds pens making their way to England - hmm. Can't say I am a fan, seems like more people run the horses up the side then do anything productive in them!

Tia

Visit site
Well to be fair, round pens have been in England for some time GTs LOL!! I had one built over 10 years ago at my yard in England. Unfortunately for me I built a 45ft diameter which was great when my western horse was just being backed as it gave me good space to teach him all the movements.......however we soon outgrew it. I rarely used it after he turned 4 as he became too big.

Many of my liveries used it as a lunging pen - of course I didn't as I don't like lunging.
grin.gif

My round pen over here is 65ft and is a far better size for doing movements. I don't know many people who run their horses in them apart from English riders who just seem to see them as lunging cages.........

milliepup

Visit site
I have one that is made from security fencing that was advertised locally (the stuff you see round construction yards). It proved to be a godsend when backing my youngsters and doing some ground work as I don't have a school.

jinglejoys

Visit site
There was a thread about this on the Muleskinners forum.One person was using irrigation piping (The type that doesn't get brittle)

Arena2.jpg

Arena3.jpg

wireweiners

Visit site
Over here we make them out of portable livestock panels. They are made out of pipe and come in 12' and 10' lengths. They fit together with pins. I don't know if they are available in the UK but I would imagine a farm supply store would have them. They are great because you can take the pen down, move it or reconfigure it as needed. I think 60' diameter is a good size.
I use one for starting young horses in lunging, ground work, and beginning riding. Its also useful for my young daughter to practice her riding.
I have to confess, I'm not impressed with Monty Roberts or the Parellis "natural horsemanship". I think Mr. Roberts "join up" is a bunch of baloney. If you really want to get respect and responsiveness from you horse and want practical, understanable methods, try Craig Cameron or Clinton Anderson. They both offer practical, understandable methods for improving ground manners, gaining respect, and improving collection and flexibility, not a bunch of horse whisperer mumbo jumbo.