Routine tie back ops?

Irishcobs

Visit site
What's the general view on tie back ops?
Do too many get done as a precaution?
I ask because I've heard of racing yards that routinely tie back their horses even if the horse isn't yet showing signs of breathing problems. Reason being to cure a problem before it happens.
Would you consider having a tie back op on your horse if it was having breathing problems, assuming it was a good horse and could continue happily at the level it is working at currently?

Anyone have any success stories of horses continuing to compete as a high level or moving up levels after a tie back op?

Gamebird

Visit site
There's plenty of 4* horses who have had one of the various wind ops, some are on teams. Same with top level National Hunt horses.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My horse has a partial tie back it was done when he was in training my vet says its likely it was a roultine one .
When he arrived he made a noise but not like roaring it was intermittent I had him scoped he had infection on his soft palate this is common apparently in young ones and has resolved with time my vet feels it likely the tie was a roultine because he made a noise at times they tied him back.
He is being prepared for eventing and I am giving him a bit more wind work than I would an untied back horse this may be overkill.
I would certainly have a horse tied back if it needed it they are not much trouble than any horse what they need is good dust management clean ammonia free beds turnout low level feeding all things that all horses benefit from.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
We will most likely have a tie back done on our mare at the end of the season as she makes a noise. She has been scoped and is not exercise intolerant but if we want to move her up the levels she will need to be more effficient in getting in oxygen! Vets are very laid back about it all!

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
One of my tbs had one as a baby in the states and the vet that helped me with a subsequent lung infection said they are a matter of course out there whether the horse is making a noise or not - not sure how true that is

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm a bit confused by the question - do you mean having one done on a horse that's showing a breathing related difficulty, or having one done 'just because' or as a first response to a horse showing 'loss of performance' (as is done quite commonly in racing now).

For a horse that 'needs' the operation, particularly if it is doing a fairly competitive job, I have no problem with it. Vets do a lot of them now, the procedures are quite refined, and the ongoing management is relatively easy for a considerate owner.

Doing them 'just because', especially in a general riding horse, is something I'm not that keen on. Surgical procedures always carry risks and it seems odd to me to do something that invasive without it being necessary.

lannerch

Visit site
I am sure no one here would have a routine tie back for a horse that did not have any breathing problems what so ever, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Am not surprised the racing industry would though, to try and maximise oxygen flow, especially after the recent doping scandals

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am sure no one here would have a routine tie back for a horse that did not have any breathing problems what so ever, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Am not surprised the racing industry would though, to try and maximise oxygen flow, especially after the recent doping scandals

I was amazed when the vets told me that on some racing yards they will tie back and do various types of surgery to soft palates with out ever doing a diagnosic check on what the noise caused by, I also did not know tie backs can be revised after they have been done.
The ease with which they can now gallop horses with scopes on means they are getting dramatically better at wind ops now.