Royal Windsor cancelled today?!

Auslander

Visit site
I'm really not surprised. I live 10 minutes from there, and the weather is horrendous. My fields are flooded again - they were rock hard the day before yesterday!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Car parks for public and lorries and the trade stands are flooded. Work have just called me to let me know as was supposed to be down there today. It's such a shame as so much effort goes into the show. :(

Clare85

Visit site
Such a shame for all involved. Hope weather improves and they are able to run classes tomorrow. Must be absolutely gutting for all those washed, plaited and ready to go :(

bliss87

Visit site
From fb post i gather the ground isnt safe; well done Windsor for putting saftey first as the ground is meant to be horrendous there. They're now not allowing any movement on showground; horses can't leave stables and lorries can't be towed off until further notice

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
From fb post i gather the ground isnt safe; well done Windsor for putting saftey first as the ground is meant to be horrendous there. They're now not allowing any movement on showground; horses can't leave stables and lorries can't be towed off until further notice

I can understand cancelling, and not allowing any more people on, and can even sympathise with not allowing lorries to move, if it is until lunchtime to allow them to do something (such as boards/temp drive ways) to protect the land. I am not sure I would be happy to be told that my horse cold not leave the stable though!

Shay

Visit site
My daughter was volunteering for YELA there today and there was a special tea and presentation for the highest achievers (not her!). We've been told not to even try.

I under to live nearby too - a couple of years they have been unable to offer parking. The show is essentially on a massive flood plain. Hope it dries enough for tomorrow. Definitely one to park slightly up the train line and take the train in I think!

Auslander

Visit site
This is how the local area looks today!
13177361_10154390138900730_6732576973013727315_n.jpg

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think it can be worse with heavy rain falling on hard ground as it just tends to pond. Hope its back on track for tomorrow

Crackerz

Visit site
It's not anywhere near half as bad as NF & Hants County has been a few times! BUT as far as i am aware, one of the stipulations of running the show is that they don't churn the ground up.

At Three Counties one year, one night of rain and moving horses to and from stables made for a mud pit. So i don't blame them.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
It's awful out there but made worse for those travelling to Windsor as the M4 is currently shut at Reading and predicted to be so until 3pm!
My lot were on the way there for the Fox which was scheduled to start at 7.30, hit the problem at Reading, saw the news on FB about Windsor and are now back home thankfully.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
We met up at local airfield cafe, (me and a couple of mates) after hearing the news. Also there were locals who were kept on the road outside Windsor show at 6am (also doing SJ early) they were held there for well over half an hour before being directed away again, lucky they didn't have that far to go. Made for quite a social horsey breakfast tho!

As Auslander shows - the ground in this area is very hard & the water is just sitting on top at present with nowhere to go. Seen some quite horrible flooded pics from mates already on the ground, elec has been turned off at box park (obvious safety issue) as cables all under water.

Poor show, poor competitors and tradestands :( Dont think I will plan on going tomorrow now, as parking is likely to be dire, even if they do go ahead.
Possibly only boxes onto ground tomorrow is the current thinking :(

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
on a purely personal note, i had organised my day so i could watch the live streaming of the dressage and was really looking forward to it....what a rotten thing to happen on the free day , at least i am comfortable indoors and not having to deal with bringing horses home without competing....lets hope the classes can run tomorrow and the rest of the week.

teapot

Visit site
For anyone going to tomorrow, RWHS is on but unless you have pre booked parking, you have to park elsewhere.