Royal Windsor Horse Show bars travellers from entry

genie

Visit site
Blatant racism.......bet they wouldn't have done it if they had been black or disabled or gay!.actually, I think that is outrageous.banning lots of people cos they had grief with a few morons in past times.

D

Donkeymad

I agree genie - talk about tarring all with the same brush.

1275gta

Visit site
I'm not being funny but half the people in the carriage driving are ex travellers. Bet they didn't stop them from competing.

dozzie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Blatant racism.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Questionable as I dont believe "travellers" are a race as such!!! It is discrimination however!!

[ QUOTE ]
bet they wouldn't have done it if they had been black or disabled or gay!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.

I am not a lover of "travellers" as they are a problem around here. But this is totally wrong.
frown.gif

vennessa

Visit site
So its only travellers that thieve? I cannot believe that has been printed.
There are thieves in all walks of life sorry to say. If they wanted to ban certain groups of people because of thieving the place would be empty.

JM07

Visit site
GOOD GOD!!!!!

Who's next then?

Homosexuals?
Lesbians?
Jews?
Muslims?
Gingers?
Bi-Sexuals?

the list is endless........

even people who vote Labour!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

dozzie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So its only travellers that thieve? I cannot believe that has been printed.
There are thieves in all walks of life sorry to say. If they wanted to ban certain groups of people because of thieving the place would be empty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know if the theft rate has gone down by a huge amount! Bet it hasn't!
wink.gif

itsme123

Visit site
Usually by the white van with 'block pavers R us call 0800.... ' emblazoned on it and the put-on Irish accent... I expect it's THOSE type of travellers that were barred.

Still highly unfair ....

Tinkerbee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Usually by the white van with 'block pavers R us call 0800.... ' emblazoned on it and the put-on Irish accent... I expect it's THOSE type of travellers that were barred.

Still highly unfair ....

[/ QUOTE ]

We occasionally have a white van
blush.gif
grin.gif

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Contrary to the previous post, Gypsies and travellers ARE a recognised ethnic minority legally so do have the protection of the various EU and UK legislation. However successive UK governments have ducked out of putting in place any definition of such groups, other than a lifestyle one ie desire to travel. Which leads to the problems the genuine gypsies have with other groups latching on using the lifestyle and protection as a means of furthering a criminal lifestyle.

I do chuckle at someone describing themselves as a 'settled traveller' :)

Shannagolden

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blatant racism.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Questionable as I dont believe "travellers" are a race as such!!! It is discrimination however!!

****YES THEY BLOODY WELL ARE!*****

[ QUOTE ]
bet they wouldn't have done it if they had been black or disabled or gay!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.

I am not a lover of "travellers" as they are a problem around here. But this is totally wrong.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dozzie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Contrary to the previous post, Gypsies and travellers ARE a recognised ethnic minority legally so do have the protection of the various EU and UK legislation. However successive UK governments have ducked out of putting in place any definition of such groups, other than a lifestyle one ie desire to travel. Which leads to the problems the genuine gypsies have with other groups latching on using the lifestyle and protection as a means of furthering a criminal lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. I knew they were consdered an ethnic minority but had not realised they were considered a "Race". Well, knew the Romanies were but not the others and from what I have read there are different groups with only some recognised as a race.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to swear at me.
mad.gif

What about New Age travellers? Are they a race?

I had a friend who bought a coach and became a "traveller." How was he part of a race?
confused.gif

He wasnt. He just wanted to doss about without a job with the DHSS supporting him.

Whatever! I still think it is discrimination.

Shannagolden

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. I knew they were consdered an ethnic minority but had not realised they were considered a "Race". Well, knew the Romanies were but not the others and from what I have read there are different groups with only some recognised as a race.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to swear at me.
mad.gif

What about New Age travellers? Are they a race?

I had a friend who bought a coach and became a "traveller." How was he part of a race?
confused.gif

He wasnt. He just wanted to doss about without a job with the DHSS supporting him.

Whatever! I still think it is discrimination.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was part of the race to escape work
smile.gif

Sorry for swearing - that was rude

Paddywhack

Visit site
Sorry but its the right decision.I have seen what happens around here when they camp in OUR field leaving dirty nappies,rubbish and dead puppies.Houses get burgeled and car windows smashed.I helped to clean up a field that they vandalised after "their stay" They tried to steal my friends mobile phone while distracting him.
And of course some "good" travellers will be punished when they are not to blame,but sadly thats how it goes.They only got their fellow "bad" travellers to blame.I do not blame the organiseres.So sorry but i got no sympathy what so ever,if they want to fit into our society they got to start to live in it in a civilised way and work for a living like the rest of us,and until that happens they will get excluded.

Nickijem

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry but its the right decision.I have seen what happens around here when they camp in OUR field leaving dirty nappies,rubbish and dead puppies.Houses get burgeled and car windows smashed.I helped to clean up a field that they vandalised after "their stay" They tried to steal my friends mobile phone while distracting him.
And of course some "good" travellers will be punished when they are not to blame,but sadly thats how it goes.They only got their fellow "bad" travellers to blame.I do not blame the organiseres.So sorry but i got no sympathy what so ever,if they want to fit into our society they got to start to live in it in a civilised way and work for a living like the rest of us,and until that happens they will get excluded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Paddywhack! When you have had so much trouble with these type of people you do end up tarring them with the same brush I'm afraid. I know for a fact, if the local 'travelling community' near us suddenly did what they ought to - in other words - travel to another part of the country, then the crime in our village and surrounding area would be cut to practically zero.
I don't blame anyone for banning them.

onemoretime

Visit site
Well said the last two. I absolutely agree with the organisers in banning them and I hope other organisers start banning them.

genie

Visit site
what has how these people live got to do with a section of society being banned from a horse show??

Nobody was saying that they approved or disapproved of this lifestyle.......what was said was it is outrageous that people should be banned because of their race./ethnic group..we are a civilised society..there are laws to protect all of us in force re this.

And...not all travellers live in caravans any more or travel.....presume these people would all be tarred with the same brush?.so, banned travellers.......blatant descrimination.

Nickijem

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
what has how these people live got to do with a section of society being banned from a horse show??

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything! They make their living by stealing from others - I wouldn't allow them into any show I was organising because I know there would be trouble.

pootler

Visit site
I used to be very politically correct until my parents moved to a house very close to a 'static' travellers site. I clealy remember getting very stroppy with one of the neighbours that called them pikeys and generally ran them down. That was until.....

My now deceased mother had to deal with their delightful children spitting at her, giving her the finger and trying to generally distrupt her passage to her home.

One of my parents neighbours had a very minor falling out with one of the travellers kids - they burned his barn to the ground.

They would race their quad bikes up and down in front of the horse's fields which really distressed the horses.

They would go lamping and shooting in the horse's fields without asking permission and not caring if it upset the horses.

They would fly tip rubbish all along the private lane my parents lived on.

They tethered one of their horses to my parents fencing that was electrified. The horse got its headcollar caught in the fencing and was repeatedly shocked, despite ME asking them very politely not to do it.

Their horses would be tethered and underfed but the RSPCA would do nothing about it. These are a small handful of examples I have given you.

No I don't like travellers as a rule, I can't stand them. However, there are a couple that I have met that I really like and have been priviliged to be invited in to their home.

Does that make me racist, probably. But based on my own own personal experience it is justified. So I do have some sympathy with the organisers of the Windsor Show. Two to three years ago I would have been horrified but having had personal experience of a specific set of travellers I can totally understand.

dozzie

Visit site
My concern is how did the show organisers identify these people and how can they assume them to be thieves?

It is no different to saying all black people are drug dealers.

On another note though...do the show organisers still publish the addresses of exhibitors? If they do, what a good way for horse thieves to identify a good horse to steal!

trendybraincell

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does that make me racist, probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely that makes you prejudice...not racist. As I understand the terms, you would need to be actively hampering their efforts to, say get a job (for example), or infringing upon our ever expanding list of "human rights"!!

I'm undecided as to whether I agree with the decision to "ban travellers", I don't think we really have enough information on this particular situation to jump to such strong opinions, in either case. I would imagine, as is the case with most decisions which spark similar responses, that it was a minority group of "travellers" that have lead to the "race" (I use the term loosely) being black marked.

Lets not forget how many people would now refer to muslisms as terrorists, or gay men as poofs and gay women as dykes. It a blanket term that attempts to find a happy medium when referring to a group.

I'm not really sure what my point is here...sorry for rambling on!!
grin.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
couldnt agree more paddywhack. Sorry but i find it hard to feel sorry for "travellers" - in our area they distroyed the local play area with dirty nappies and rubbish on one of their delightful stays, they dump dead foals by the side of the road, burnt down a hay barn at our yard, and are generally just horrible from my own experience which is all i can draw upon. That said i know they probably arent all the same !!

Have seen some at shows and they seem fairly pleasant but maybe they are more gypsies??

Very controversial ... wonder how they tell who is a traveller, some people are dress so chavvy they look like travellers?!?! Do people wear badges these days??!

D

Donkeymad

QR

Are 'we' assuming here that only travellers steal? I used to run an equestrian tradestand at shows, big shows and small. Believe me, most of the thieves were clean, well-dressed people.

I don't like travellers in general, but do not see why they should be banned.

tiffany111

New User
Visit site
Travellers are NOT banned from the Royal Windsor Horse Show, but as organisers we have the right to refuse admission to members of the public, this is a decsion that is made alongside the Thames Valley Police, MET Police and our security team. We make these choices on a case by case business. We are sorry that members of the travelling community were turned away but other members of the public were also turned away but these chose not to go running to the press with blown out of proportion stories.

Trakehner

Visit site
Amazing, actual common sense. We got warnings the gypos were in town. Two fat women were in a store and pulled up their dresses (nothing underneath and major YECH!). While people were watching their antics their menfolk were stealing from the registers and taking purses.

One gypo woman was seen on camera beating her young daughter because she wasn't stealing enough.

It gets bad when the news won't list who the criminals are...if you see a rapist described as "male", good idea he's black or asian. You don't hear criminals described as "muslim", they're generic "yobs".