Royal Windsor Horse Show

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I'm looking forward to my first visit to Windsor on Thursday and Friday. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the list of dressage competitors is available somewhere - I believe Carl and Charlotte are riding, but haven't managed to track down a full list.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of things not to miss, that would be great. I'm going with my Mum who has the early stages of Parkinsons. Whilst she is still very much able to get around, she does get tired so I would like to streamline stuff if I can. We have Windsor Enclosure passes so will use that as a base and I can always nip off briefly while she sits and watches the arena for a bit. She is appreciative of horses, but not horsey if that makes sense!

Thank you. :) xx

teapot

Visit site
The musical rides of both the Cavalry and the King's Troop (though they only be in the evening) are def worth a watch. If you watch some of the showing on the outside rings you may well be stood next to Queenie.

The class lists and results will be here eventually: https://www.rwhs.co.uk/results-windsor-horseshow/ They tend to be uploaded on the day.

Enjoy it, Windsor's got a lovely feel event wise.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Brilliant! Thank you Teapot - the dressage start list is here, thanks to your link: http://results.scgvisual.com/2017/windsor/s41.html I couldn't see it for looking!

We will be doing evening Thursday, and day and evening Friday - staying in a nearby hotel which will be lovely - so we should catch both the Household Cavalry and the Kings' Troop. I do always wince at these rides when they cross each other at flat out gallop as I sadly saw two horses collide with one breaking its neck many years back at Earls Court. :( But, really looking forward to the event and glad it will be a little cooler than the past couple of days or I would come back tomato coloured! :eek: :) x

ETA silly me - didn't read it properly - that link was last year's results even though it was at the start list link! x

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Windsor's a fairly decent sized arena for musical rides so try to enjoy it. Also depending how far your mum can walk, there's driving and endurance to watch too.

Fab place to royal spot at too if that's your thing!

Griffin

Visit site
The driving is always worth a watch (even though I have no idea how it works). I always enjoy the shopping because it is a good mix of horse and non-horse! It's just a lovely venue to look around and you often see famous faces (I saw Carl Hester wandering around the shopping area one year, I did a double take!).

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Will be there tomorrow and Thurs in the daytime.
I tend to whizz through the shopping area noting what I might want to return to later.
Thurs is WH, so will be watching those classes in the morning.
Looks like the weather is going to be kind too :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm hopefully going Friday.

It's a lovely show. The cavalry ride is usually on in the daytime too, but looks extra special at night under the spotlights with Windsor Castle illuminated behind.

I love the carriages on the Friday. They end up in the main arena sometime after midday and there are so many it's wonderful.

Take something warm for the evening show, it can get quite cool by the time it ends, even on a sunny day.

Enjoy, and look out for the Queen. She hurtled past us in her Range Rover last year while we were looking at some of the driving XC obstacles, driving herself with her headscarf on.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Just before the classes there are usually lists available from the main programme-selling/information stand (just before the shops)- you have to ask as they usually aren't left out, and the lists for some classes are available earlier than others. They sometimes run out of printed copies for spectators (particularly for the big SJ and dressage classes), so for the evening dressage it is worth tracking some down ASAP. If there aren't any available there then the ladies in the press office are very helpful and have been happy to give me a copy of the list(s) I wanted in the past.
Re accessability, there is disabled parking if you have a blue badge, and you can leave bags/shopping in the Rotary Club (I think) tent if you don't want to go back to the car during the day. The shopping is very near the main arena, and the walkways are surfaced (just watch for small steps into some of the 'shops').
Re what to watch- there is such a large range of classes that it is worth buying a programme and having a good look before planning your day (although I still end up wishing I could be in two places at once!).
I love RWHS, and meet up with friends from all over the country there. I am travelling up from the SW tomorrow morning and staying until Saturday night- hope that you have a really lovely time!

Wizzkid

Visit site
I’m going for the first time on Sunday as I was kindly brought tickets for Christmas . Although I’m sort of dreading it as I’m taking all my children... so not sure how long we will last... possibly less time than it will take us to drive there.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It was always my favourite show of them all, wish I was going! We would go up the day before with MIL's caravan and have passes for the whole thing. Your mum will enjoy the atmosphere even if she needs to base herself somewhere. Have a lovely time :)