Royal Windsor Platinum Jubilee ITV coverage

PinkRoses

Visit site
Just sat at home watching the ITV coverage of the platinum jubilee performance at Windsor and the lack of horses is sending me to sleep!

I almost bought tickets for it but glad I didn’t! We went to see the diamond jubilee
But I don’t remember it having any acting/speech parts.

has anyone been to see it? Is it any better in person?

Clodagh

Visit site
We’ve gone to bed but have left it recording. The French rather knocked us with their tight lines and accuracy I thought. The HC musical ride wasn’t as crisp as I have seen.

The spook at the start was the best bit ?.

Wasn’t Tom Cruise nice? I always thought he was just a froot loop. Now I think he’s a nice froot loop.

abbijay

Visit site
I am a staunch republican but watched and really enjoyed the horsey bits - naturally the drum horses were my favourites, especially the surprise ones from the middle east that I wasn't expecting.
I have to say the french cavalry were light years ahead in their standards. Having messed around with a few rides to music seeing the precision and training on display was astounding. I couldn't do what the british military do so I'm certainly not dissing them either.
I will always have a little lift in my heart rate when they gallop out of the arena with the guns though! I can't imagine the exhilaration of that.
I did find some of the coverage a bit frustrating - slow-mo close ups on the horses' faces rather than just showing the riding.
I did have to smile when they displayed the grey rare breeds and at the end the queen's black riding fell came through and she had a genuine smile and I'm sure she muttered "that's mine".
I couldn't really get my head around why Tom Cruise was there. I have nothing for or against the fellow but surely we could have found an A-lister from the UK or the Commonwealth. I also got a bit frustrated by The Schofe trying to put jokes and snarky comments in; I'd watched a masterclass in that style the night before from Graeme Norton on Eurovision, this just seemed misplaced.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
We saw it Friday night (had front row tickets and everything) and we loved it, I must admit.

The French riders were one of my favourites - also really enjoyed the stunt riders. I want to say they were Azerbaijan but might be totally out there!

southerncomfort

Visit site
The coverage was terrible! Who on earth thought we'd rather look at Gregory Porter than the HC musical ride??

I was a bit baffled by the whole thing to be honest. I thought it was a celebration of Our Liz's reign so couldn't understand the whole thing about The First Liz, or Guy Fawkes, or Shakespeare. I ended up recording it and watched it later, forwarding through the boring bits.

Loved all the horses. Also loved the Swiss drummers....absolutely amazing!

ETA. Had a tear in my eye when they brought out her riding Fell at the end. That was a lovely touch.

Last edited:

reynold

Visit site
It was a bit ridiculous to have the two 'trigger warnings' from Phil regarding the Omani horses lying down and then again when the trick riders were going to go under the horse (which in the end ITV didn't show)

My OH gave up watching when we saw more of Gregory Porter than the Household Cavalry.

Totally agree the french were superb. Scissors in half pass.

The play acting thru history bits were irrelevant but doubtless put in to satisfy the TV audience rather than the crowd at a horse show.

Shed a tear when I saw the Queen's Fell mare being led in with a saddle on - it brought back memories of Churchill's funeral and brought home again the fact that the Queen may not be with us for many more years.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I commented to my other half about the lines from the HC. I wonder if they had to sub in reserve horses last minute as at times they seemed very out of sync. Also laughed at the trigger warning. Got bored of it and switched over.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Shed a tear when I saw the Queen's Fell mare being led in with a saddle on - it brought back memories of Churchill's funeral and brought home again the fact that the Queen may not be with us for many more years.
Glad I am not the only one to do that. Did anyone notice the Queen's face when Lady Louise drove Prince Phillip's ponies and exercise cart past her? Think that really affected her, I know it would me in her shoes.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
I saw it live Saturday and it was absolutely amazing. The tv coverage ruined it. I remember the last big evening performance that was televised and that was amazing but this had too many ad breaks and should have just watched the action as I can assure you it was incredible being there and very moving.

Bob notacob

Visit site
I am not entirely convinced that Tom Cruise Knew why he had been asked to be there either. But I think what he said was short and to the point and well said. The poignant drive of Prince Philips horses and cart ,by Lady Loise ,It must have been a bitter sweet moment for both HRH and Lady Louise! Is one allowed to send HHO hugs to ones reigning monarch ?

adamntitch

Visit site
just watched the hc was shocking to be honist disunighted all over the place the Omani riders are really good seen them a few years ago at the edinburgh tattoo the horses where stabled at tower farm

Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
Given Tom Cruise’s history, I just hope that this doesn’t mean our monarchy has connections with Scientology.