Royaldik for our mare? Please help, need to AI asap!

zozelini

New User
Visit site
We've been looking to breed an eventer from one of our mares for a while, but sadly just lost her beloved saint of a mother so we're keen to get her in foal asap to carry on her line. She is by Renkum Eireann (AES) out of an ID/TB mare by Embla George.

She's a very talented mare but rather tricky and can be stressy. Both her mother and father had phenomenal jumps which she has inherited as well as good movement. We saw Royaldik at last years Badminton stallion parade and were struck by his lovely temperament, in the lorry park afterwards he got down for a roll and a munch on the grass! We've heard he passes this on to his offspring, so hopefully would balance out the mare.

She has evented but lacked enough blood to easily make the times, despite having enough stamina and heart to run until she dropped! I know Royaldik isn't a proven Event stallion yet, but is high % TB and has been used by Mary King so can't be all bad. We want a big stallion with good length of leg (as we're very tall) which will refine her. She is 16.1hh (with a deep body). The main attraction for me with Royaldik is his movement and temperament (and height!), she has been scanned and looks to be coming in season very soon (this or next week).

Just hoping we're making the right choice? I love Wish Upon a Star but sadly a bit small. Ideally looking for 16.3hh plus. Any suggestions welcome!

Here's the mum:
61108_437202824882_1806774_n%20Copy_zpsri3smif0.jpg

And some of the mare (best I have I'm afraid!):
10300267_10152433791304883_6329825793744231256_n%20Copy_zpsugsjlduq.jpg

(She's no. 58)
10253821_10201839273205232_6281676344640808262_n%20Copy_zpsmbtyvwio.jpg

1926846_10201839279885399_2137633858231237476_n%20Copy_zpskplyqolg.jpg

Asha

Visit site
I used Royaldik on my mare, she's a 3/4 ID. My youngster is only 3 so it's really early days. What I can say he's added is height, she's standing a smidge over16hd, mum was only 15.2. She has a fab temperament, but mum did anyway. More loving and cuddly than mum. Moves better, has a natural medium trot, loves to gallop. She is a finer build too. I'm delighted with her.

Gingerbear

Visit site
Royaldik is registered Oldenburg, he has TB on hid dams side so would be about 50% blood. The sire of your mare looks to have some SF back in the breeding so you could say your mare with her Dam assuming that is a 50% split will be about 55% blood so putting the two together you would end up with something a very similar % of blood

I would look at something with a higher % blood for eventing something like Weston Justice (full TB) or Springfield Symphony (75% TB) known to add height on most occasions.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Given the choice between Harry :))) and Grafenstoltz, I'd pick the latter. I know of 2 x 2yos by Graf, bought in by a highly experienced Event rider, and they are quite spectacular. Your mare looks to be a good sort and honest, too. Put to the right mare, Graf's youngsters are highly regarded. Put to the wrong mare, and just as with all good stallions, disapointment is the oft result.

Alec.

Asha

Visit site
I was torn between the two - Harry and Graf. What swung it for me, was speaking to people who knew them both, who had ridden them, and looked after them. Harry's chilled out loving nature, and his ride ability was the deciding factor for me. Mine will get started at the end of the year, not long to find out now what's she like under saddle. Excited and nervous !

tristar

Visit site
can`t be much help, but I would always breed from the one i liked best, in your case wish upon a star, look at the size of the grandparents, and if it was a colt it could be bigger anyway.