RSPCA ad on tv

Visit site
awful case of a greyhound with its muzzle taped shut with gaffer tape, muzzle swollen. What kind of people do this sort of thing, thank god someone found it

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i think remember this, it was a whippet and the vet rehomed her as she had fostered her while she was being treated a happy ending to a horrific earlier life...

{97702}

Visit site
It's common. particularly in Ireland where they breed something ridiculous like 10,000 greyhounds a year for legal and illegal racing - over there if they don't make the grade they are dumped, usually with their ears cut off to remove the tattoos that identify the breeder. That's without anaesthetic.

Or they send them to China, where if they don't make the grade in a certain number of races they are sold to the meat market to be tortured then boiled alive.

Greyhounds are a quality industry for sure......

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
It's common. particularly in Ireland where they breed something ridiculous like 10,000 greyhounds a year for legal and illegal racing - over there if they don't make the grade they are dumped, usually with their ears cut off to remove the tattoos that identify the breeder. That's without anaesthetic.

Or they send them to China, where if they don't make the grade in a certain number of races they are sold to the meat market to be tortured then boiled alive.

Greyhounds are a quality industry for sure......
Oh God, don’t get me started on the exportation of Greyhounds to China. The Chinese are also rather partial to donkey skins as well. Via African nations.😡

skinnydipper

Visit site
xactly BS....

If anyone needs to know more, or doesn't beleive me, try looking up Candy Cane rescue - it is horrific reading

No, I believed you Levrier. There was some publicity about it a couple of years ago and I found it horrifying. I had managed to push it to the back of mind as it was too awful to contemplate.

The problem needs sorting at the source not the destination.

Last edited:

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
No, I believed you Levrier. There was some publicity about it a couple of years ago and I found it horrifying. I had managed to push it to the back of mind as it was too awful to contemplate.

The problem needs sorting at the source not the destination.
Re ex-racing greyhounds, I suppose you either shoot them in head or you make a nice little earner by exporting them. Re Donkeys, some African countries have banned the live exportation of donkeys because in a poor country they are vital to farmers as a means of transport. The Chinese - one of the most technological advanced countries in the world & one of the worst abusers of animals.

kimberleigh

Visit site
As sad as this particular case sounds, the rspca do more harm to animals than anyone else! Except they get paid for it and have people believing theyre the cats pajamas.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
As sad as this particular case sounds, the rspca do more harm to animals than anyone else! Except they get paid for it and have people believing theyre the cats pajamas.
I disagree. The RSPCA are not perfect, but without them, who would investigate cases of neglect/cruelty towards animals? Our police forces are stretched beyond their limits, our dog wardens have limited powers. No, we need a society (even with flaws) to protect our pets.

kimberleigh

Visit site
I disagree. The RSPCA are not perfect, but without them, who would investigate cases of neglect/cruelty towards animals? Our police forces are stretched beyond their limits, our dog wardens have limited powers. No, we need a society (even with flaws) to protect our pets.

I agree that we need a society to protect pets - but the rs£ca are not that society.

They care far more about prosecutions, and headlines, than actually rescuing animals in need.

They prioritise animals which will gain them donations because of sensationalist journalism, a huge amount of their claims are farcical, and they tell blatant lies to further those claims.

They also work outside of the law which everyone else has to abideby, illegally removing animals from their homes and use intimidation tactics to bully people.

Im sure the ground level employees do only want what is best for animalsbut go further up the tree and they're scum hiding behind a uniform

kimberleigh

Visit site
No, CC. It's more of a red herring to distract from Lev's concerns.

Her concerns over what exactly?!

I dont disagree that the greyhound industry in Ireland creates a huge amount of waste - the cruelty side of things I've been fortunate not to have came across (though im sure it exists, as in amy sport!)...but ending the lives of thousands which "arent good enough" is commonplace

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I agree that we need a society to protect pets - but the rs£ca are not that society.

They care far more about prosecutions, and headlines, than actually rescuing animals in need.

They prioritise animals which will gain them donations because of sensationalist journalism, a huge amount of their claims are farcical, and they tell blatant lies to further those claims.

They also work outside of the law which everyone else has to abideby, illegally removing animals from their homes and use intimidation tactics to bully people.

Im sure the ground level employees do only want what is best for animalsbut go further up the tree and they're scum hiding behind a uniform

Then who/what would protect animals from cruelty, neglect or exploitation?

skinnydipper

Visit site

I dont disagree that the greyhound industry in Ireland creates a huge amount of waste - the cruelty side of things I've been fortunate not to have came across (though im sure it exists, as in amy sport!)...but ending the lives of thousands which "arent good enough" is commonplace

You have just answered your own question.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site

To refer to greyhounds that don’t make the grade as ‘waste’ tells me everything I need to know.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Then who/what would protect animals from cruelty, neglect or exploitation?

Imo a new organisation ought to be appointed, or the current one could have a huge overhaul in order to make them effective and trustworthy.

Im far from against the idea of a body to protect animals - its a requirement!

I just cant stand the rspca

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Imo a new organisation ought to be appointed, or the current one could have a huge overhaul in order to make them effective and trustworthy.

Im far from against the idea of a body to protect animals - its a requirement!

I just cant stand the rspca

A new organisation? What makes you think they would behave any differently from the RSPCA?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
There's huge amounts of 'wastage' in any industry that involves animals, including any sort of showing or sport and those that don't believe it are kidding themselves. Only a few in any litter will ever make it big in their chosen discipline.

But I'll personally reserve the label of 'scum' for those who deliberately starve, neglect, otherwise abuse and utilise their animals for nefarious purposes.

{97702}

Visit site

Gosh you really don’t like them do you! Have you had some personal experience, or know someone who has? I can’t understand why you would be that angry at them otherwise

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
There's huge amounts of 'wastage' in any industry that involves animals, including any sort of showing or sport and those that don't believe it are kidding themselves. Only a few in any litter will ever make it big in their chosen discipline.

But I'll personally reserve the label of 'scum' for those who deliberately starve, neglect, otherwise abuse and utilise their animals for nefarious purposes.

And that it was it so sad. People who breed animals and regard the losers as waste. Waste is what I deposit down the loo.

{97702}

Visit site

“Nefarious purposes”???!!! Have you swallowed a dictionary m’dear? 😊😊😊

kimberleigh

Visit site
Gosh you really don’t like them do you! Have you had some personal experience, or know someone who has? I can’t understand why you would be that angry at them otherwise

No personal experience as such, but one of my in laws has - and because of that whole affair I cannot abide them. I always felt they werent what they made out but never realised quite how abhorrent they are.

I have lots of time for the smaller recsues and breed specific rescues, they are usually massively underfunded and under supported and do actually do wonderful work with animals who really need help and protection. The rspca do rescue animals who have been abused/neglected, no doubt about that, but they also cause huge amounts of damage themselves

skinnydipper

Visit site
There why not be straight with your posts instead of snidey digs made from assumptions?!

I can be very frank but I am sure you wouldn't like it and I can't be bothered with that in any case.

We were discussing Ireland's greyhound industry and the appalling fate of those you describe as "waste". I don't believe anybody was directing any of the criticisms at you personally. You went off on a tangent about the RSPCA.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
And that it was it so sad. People who breed animals and regard the losers as waste. Waste is what I deposit down the loo.

To clarify, it's not a term I like, hence the inverted commas.
All breeders do need to consider where the pups will go, that don't 'make it', especially in breeds that don't make good pets in a normal household.
Some do, but a lot don't, nor do they care.

It's one of the reasons I haven't bred my male, despite a number of requests.

{97702}

Visit site

As the person who raised the concerns - absolutely as others have said, the vast over-breeding of greyhounds that goes on in Ireland particularly, and the horrific fates that the dogs who don't make the grade endure. THOSE are my concerns. Greyhounds being sold to countries where their treatment of animals is far removed from what I would consider acceptable, a quick end with a bolt gun would seem a good option rather than a dog enduring that. So many people seem to be suckered in by promises that the dogs will be treated well, that they will have a good retirement, but quite frankly I don't believe a word of it.

I have had five examples of the "waste" produced in Ireland, all of who I have loved dearly, but it is not acceptable and should not happen. Greed and exploitation are not reasons to breed.